[Healeys] Fuel Problem Revisited

Subject: [Healeys] Fuel Problem Revisited
From: mayorrichard at hotmail.com (richard mayor)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 02:48:48 +0000
Take out your distributor. Turn it upside down and spray some brake clean up
into the breaker plate and points. Over time, oil will migrate up into the
points and cap. Clean it out and you will be fine for another 10 years. If you
don't believe me, take a clean white business card and put it between your
points....then pull it out. Look at the card. I suspect you will see a dark
smudge (caused by oil).  If you see that smudge then follow my first
instruction.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

> Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:45:53 -0400
> From: tomfelts at windstream.net
> To: healeys at autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] Fuel Problem Revisited
>
> In trying to isolate the reason for an occasional sputtering which I
attributed to sticking points in the fuel pump, I have made an observation
that "may" have some effect------I am interested in your thoughts.

> I pulled the dist cap and noticed a coating of oil on the rotor contact
point.  Also, the center pin in the dist cap was hung up in the cap.  With no
pressure on the rotor and with the rotor contact having oil residue on it,
could this be a cause for an occasional sputter.

> As some of you have pointed out, (thanks Steve and others), if the points
were sticking in one pump, the other pump would have kicked in and there
shouldn't be any sputtering------so---what do you think?  I

> I'd take her back out for a good run today, but sadly our summer weather has
slipped back to winter and I'm a top-down person.