[Healeys] Lucas headlights

Subject: [Healeys] Lucas headlights
From: austin.healey at gmail.com (Chris Dimmock)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 01:55:53 +1000
Isn't the inscription below the Lucas Family Crest "Home before dark"?
Isn't the Lucas Vacuum Cleaner the only Lucas product that didn't suck??
So now you want Headlights.
Headlights that actually work??
Buy a Mazda MX5. Or just drive in the daylight like tens of thousands of
Healey owners have for 50 odd years.
So you want a great looking car, awesome exhaust noise, performance that still
mixes it with traffic 50 years later - and headlights???
Next you'll want a heater. And a horn. And a light on the boot....
Home before dark.
 And think yourself lucky you have a generator. And you don't have to hand
crank the starter......
;-)

Sent from my iPhone

On 05/04/2012, at 10:22 PM, Larry Varley <varley at cosmos.net.au> wrote:

> Headlamp relays are not that modern, it's not a good idea to use fused
standard relays on headlamp circuits, as you risk the possible loss of
headlamps at the worst possible moment. Many old cars didn't use fuses on
headlamp circuits for this reason. The problem isn't the relay, it's the fuse.
So if people want to use a relay on a headlamp circuit, a proper headlamp
relay should be used that has the bi metal overload so there is no total loss
of headlamps in the case of a short circuit.
> Cheers
> Larry Varley
>
> On 5/04/2012 9:53 PM, Oudesluys wrote:
>> What we are talking about is the standard relays, not the modern head lamp
relays.
>> Kees Oudesluijs
>> NL
>>

>> Op 5-4-2012 12:19, Larry Varley schreef:
>>> Something that I think seems to be missed here, is that a headlamp relay
is generally a special relay with thermal overload rather than a fuse.