[Healeys] Distributors - 67 BJ8

Subject: [Healeys] Distributors - 67 BJ8
From: lists at brits-n-pieces.com (lists)
Date: 17 Apr 2012 10:13:33 +0200
Hi Chris,

you're dead-on. I second your thoughts 100%. Setting up the 123 without dyno
will probably not give you the optimum, but in most cases a much better running
engine.

Eric
Brits 'n' Pieces (Germany)

Hi Gary,
After a 100,000 miles or so, without having been rebuilt, any distributor
(Lucas or not) will not be operating at the original factory advance curve
settings. Especially a Lucas, which wears without regular lubrication, and
where most of the advance characteristics are determined by 2 little springs
and a cam.....
Our problem is compounded by the fact that our cars, when they were built,
were specified (look in your owners handbook) to run with high octane leaded
fuel - which isn't available to most people in the world in 2012.
So the issue is that no one with a non rebuilt, and non regraphed distributor
is actually running the factory engineered advance curve; and in 2012, with
current fuel, and changes made over the last 50 years or so to our cars
(different cam? Rebored? Lightened flywheel? Ported head and bigger valves?)
it probably isn't the correct advance curve for your current engine setup
running current fuel....
I can see the advantage, but I don't have a 123 distributor, so I can't
comment on how you set it up, or how you change it.
Best
Chris