[Healeys] Healey "Security" Circuit

Subject: [Healeys] Healey "Security" Circuit
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 18:39:47 +0000 (UTC)
re: "The power will go to ground via the path of least resistance, so my theory
is
that an ignition system (capacitor, spark plug, etc.) has lots of resistance,
so if the switch in the trunk is "on" then the black/white wire is not
grounded. and when "off" the coil will ground itself out and no power will be
making it to the dist. Right?"

Correct. In a points car, when the cutoff switch is in the 'Off' position the
coil is grounded. When I installed a Pertronix unit, I moved the terminal so
the circuit was open in the off position, breaking current flow to the coil.

The white/black wire has its own terminal on the cutoff switch; it's connected
internally to ground in the 'Off' position. It should be connected (in a points
car) to the coil primary terminal opposite the power lead--the same terminal
where the lead to the distributor is attached; i.e. in parallel--else it would
be a dead short (as it is, only the coil resistance prevents it being a dead
short).

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA