[Healeys] More Venting

To: Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] More Venting
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@hotkey.net.au>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 14:59:50 +1000
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
When Geoff Healey developed the 1965 - 68 streamlined Sprites they were windtunnel tested for the assessment of drag etc. This resulted in the windscreens being slightly modified at the top corners, the screen was laid back slightly and the high point of the roof line was moved foward to reduce drag.

As a result of all this technical and calibrated research the Sprites quite effective.

In 1968 at LeMans the Sprite had approx 115 bhp, did 150 plus mph and averaged 99mph for the 24 hours. The car was fitted with vents in the fenders, a rear under-tray and a rear spoiler.

It is said that the body shape would average 30mpg at 100 mph.

I have motored down Mulsanne Straight as a passenger when the Sprite was pulling 7200rpm in 5th gear.

The message, give Healeys a bit of credit for what they achieved with what they had. I wont start on the streamliner 100.4 and 100.6 achievements.