Re: [Healeys] Rear Shroud Rivets

To: <michaelsalter@gmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear Shroud Rivets
From: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:54:26 +0000
Michael:
The only place in any of the Austin-Healey manuals I have ever seen that talks
about the rivets for the rear shroud is in the Service Manuals, like AKD 1179D
under Section P.2 Rear Body Panel. It describes how many rivets are on the
upper lip of the shroud and how many on the lower lip. Nowhere does it give
you the size or length. Thye are also not show in any of the Parts Manuals.
Howver if you measure the thickness of the trunk floor lip, about 1/16" and
the thickness of the aluminium shroud, just over 1/16" and the length that you
will squeeze, I would say that 1/4" would be enough. I have a rivet squeezing
tool that I purchased from an aircraft supply place called Applyfast and it
makes the work pretty easy. Another place that sells these tools is Hanson
Rivet in California, they also have these rivets in pretty well any length you
want.

Jean

> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:07:18 -0400
> From: michaelsalter@gmail.com
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] Rear Shroud Rivets
>
> I've been trying to find the original flat head aluminum rivets used to
> attach the rear shroud.
> I've purchased some that are 1/4" long but I think that is too long for
> this application.
> Does anyone have any idea what the original length of these rivets was?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Michael Salter
>
> *I have BJ8 water pump kits!!*