Re: [Healeys] Trying to help someone validate his car.

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Trying to help someone validate his car.
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 16:40:36 -0400
Mike, the first place to start with the VIN is the BT7 registrar.  There is
one for Mark I cars (Bob Haskell, rchaskell@earthlink.net) and one for Mark
II tricarbs (Bill Bolton, tricarb@aol.com).  The appropriate registrar may
have some information about the VIN.

If the Heritage certificate shows a different original paint color for the
VIN quoted than what is actually obvious from inspection of the car, I would
bet that the VIN plate doesn't belong to that car.  It's true that the
Heritage certificates have mistakes on them far too frequently, but the
paint color is not usually a mistake.

Both the VIN and the body plate are only attached with two easily-removed
screws.  Once removed, the plates are easily mixed up with others or lost.
If the car has a body plate, does it match on the certificate with the VIN
plate?  If it does, that's a good sign, but not conclusive.  If not, that's
another clue that the car is not the VIN claimed.  Does the engine serial
number and gearbox match the certificate?  When dealing with such issues on
BJ8s (which are frequent), I try to determine the serial number of the rear
axle and ignition key lock number.  These are less likely to be changed
between cars than other items like engines/gearboxes and I.D. plates.  Does
the certificate quote a rear axle number?  Unfortunately, in many cases the
certs do not.  BMIHT will not do a reverse search for rear axle numbers or
key numbers (key numbers are not unique but common to many cars).  For BJ8s,
I have a way around that, but not for other models.

Good luck!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry