Re: [Healeys] Cam and crank gear timing update

To: Jonathan Quandt <jfaquandt@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cam and crank gear timing update
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:08:23 -0400
Cc: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Jonathan,
If you want to do a "correct" engine rebuild, particularly on an engine as
old as a 100, it is imperative that you check the cam timing using a TDC
measuring peg, a degree wheel and a dial test indicator as specified on
page D/26 of the factory workshop manual.
Just a little wear on keyways, keys or sprockets or a cam which has been
ground slightly ahead or behind center can make a considerable difference
to engine performance.
Take the time, do it right and don't forget to set the valve clearances
back to 0.012" when you are satisfied that you have it correct.

--
Michael Salter

                         *I have BJ8 water pump kits!!*