Re: [Healeys] Chromed parts

To: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Chromed parts
From: Al Malin <amalin@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:11:38 -0500
Peter,

Here is my assessment. The punctuation problem likely exists because everybody
is not using the same character set.

Character sets are like super decoder rings. When your ring is the same as mine
everything you encode with yours will be decoded properly by mine. However, if
our rings are slightly different the message I decode may not exactly match
your original message.

We have slightly different rings. The alphabetic and numeric characters match
OK but your apostrophe character decodes to the character b on my ring.

And, there are three rings involved: yours, mine, and Mark's.

This problem is avoided if everyone used a Universal Character Set, however,
this would put additional demands on the server.

Here is more information:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding

Al Malin