Re: [Healeys] Fuel Pump

To: Price Lindsay <050.rpl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel Pump
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 10:58:23 +0100
Cc: Healey List Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Price,

I most certainly do not know all there is to know about Austin Healeys,
the Jensen Healey is my hobby. However I do have a reasonably broad
general knowledge of (mostly European) cars.

I do not know the workings of a transil, no idea actually what it does.
I presume it is some device that keeps sparking in check. I understand
there are unidirectional  and bidirectional types, so I presume that the
unidirectional types also work as a diode.
Why on earth did you take the pump apart in the first place? It was
working was it not, so always stick to the rule: /*If it ain't broke
don't fix it*/. Keep your hands off.

If you take something apart that you are not absolutely sure about, take
plenty of clear pictures before you take it apart. I always have an old
digital camera (Canon Power shot, less than $10 incl. shipping on the
internet) handy for these purposes.
There is probably a fault in the insulation of a sort somewhere as you
measure continuity at every terminal
Check the following:
Positive or negative earth?
Do you have power on the fuel pump wire in the car?
Is the transil fitted properly if it is a unidirectional item?
Check (dis)continuity over the points
Are some small plastic insulation parts/washers left over/not
fitted/fitted wrongly?
Testing the pump outside the car is done with an extra battery, or power
supply. When the pump is clicking it is usually OK

I hope this may help.

Cheers,
Kees Oudesluijs
NL