[Healeys] Transmission - rear shifter plunger

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Transmission - rear shifter plunger
From: john spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 19:42:28 -0800
Previously I mentioned that I could not shift into reverse. I pulled
the transmission and removed the reverse fork. What I found is the
larger reverse plunger is extremely hard to push in. It seems to be
hanging up on the smaller detent plunger. When the springs are
removed both plungers move freely in there bores. The contact
surfaces where the plungers interface are relatively smooth and not
galled at all. The springs are fine although the detent spring seems
very stiff but it is original as far as I know.

Should I bevel the edges of the larger plunger where it interfaces
with the detent plunger to help it ease over the detent head?

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Thank you,

John Spaur
'62 BT7