Re: [Healeys] Old Gas Stations

To: roadwarriordave@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Old Gas Stations
From: Jackson Krall <jackson_krall@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 19:12:27 -0800 (PST)
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
That photo is interesting to me also. I have a strong feeling that it's the
corner of 17th st and 6th ave. as I remember there is, but probably 'was', a
little round front gas station converted to convenience store there. Once upon
a time there was a row of auto dealers on 6th ave between 14th st and 23rd st.
The address at bottom of photo is hard to read but I think it says "582-590
Sixth ave". I'll check it out soon.
  The corn gas station also looks like NYC and my gut feeling is that it was on
10th ave. The background buildings are key to figuring this out.
These little stations used to be all over the place in NYC but mostly all gone
now with some surviving by being converted for other use.
I can think of 2 small pagoda style stations that have been preserved on 7th
ave south but are fenced off for private use. I had heard that there was a
historical/zoning clause that prevented them from being torn down.
Now, if I could get at least one of my Healeys on the road these old stations
would be great background subjects for a photo shoot.
Best
JK
NYC