Re: [Healeys] Fw: HS-4 choke free play

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fw: HS-4 choke free play
From: warthodson@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:44:56 -0500 (EST)
I believe the choke cable on HS carbs actually performs two separate functions
as it is pulled out.
First is fast idle. Second is enrichment, I.E. choke.
If you adjust the cable such that is just beginning to move the main jet, then
you will always have the carb set to fast idle.
As I recall, the work shop manual explains the correct adjustment of the choke
cable. It goes something like this: With no fast idle & no choke, I.E. the
linkage & cable NOT engaging either fast idle or choke, the dash choke knob
should be approx. 1/16" away from the dash. This slight gap will assure that
when you release the choke/fast idle that there is no residual tension on the
cable.
The manual does a lot better job of explaining this. If you do not have one,
you should.
Gary Hodson