Re: [Healeys] clunk on braking

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] clunk on braking
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 23:49:32 +1100
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Agreed Tom
But "hubs and wheels replaced", and only on braking, not on acceleration, and
only at the back, eliminated that one for me..
But yes, first thought....
Do you know how to prove it??
Use aluminum (that's how we spell it in Australia!) foil on your wheel spines.
Foil the wheel splines. It can be applied very neatly over a dry wheel spine.
Try it. If the noise goes, then you know everything is worn out of spec. So
replace the wheel spines and the wheels.
Or (1980's fix on a limiited budget...) carefully foil the splines, grease,
and drive it for another 20,000 miles, or until you hear that soft clunking
noise again.....
Chris
PS Works on Jags too!!?!
;-)