Re: [Healeys] overdrive installation

To: warthodson@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive installation
From: john spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:03:40 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
The splines can easily misalgin regardless of rotation. I believe the
inner spline rotates freely and the rear one rotates by the flange
but both of them will move when the flange is rotated. If you don't
have an alignment tool you can use a long screw driver to rotate and
line up the splines. I belive counter clockwise when you are looking
at the splines. Then rotate the flange to align it with the
transmission output shaft. You have to look into the OD and rotate
the splines to have a low or high point that corresponds with the
output shaft. It is best to have the tranny upright with the
bellhousing resting on some wood blocks on the floor. You can then
set the OD down onto it and that will help compress the springs. If
you mate them horizontally you may need a couple of large C clamps to
pull them together if the starter bolts are not long enough. If you
feel any binding at all, stop compressing, take them apart and
realign the splines. If everything is lined up properly you will be
able to feel it because they will slip together smoothly.

John Spaur