[Healeys] Powder Coating Springs

To: Ahealey help <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Powder Coating Springs
From: Charlie Frazer <cfrazer@jcomm.uoregon.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:11:56 -0700
Thanks to a number of you who expressed your personal opinions on whether to
paint or powder coat suspension springs, as well as discussing various
techniques for media blasting.

My question is this:  Does the heat involved in powder coating really result
in taking the temper out of springs as suggested in some recent posts?
I'm not a metallurgist, but it appears to me that the temps in powder coating
are around 400 degrees, while springs are tempered at 900-950 degrees.  So,
does the relatively low temperature in the powder coating oven really affect
springs?  If so, how about A-arms and sway bars?

Thanks for your comments.