Re: [Healeys] Cooling system filter installation - xpost

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cooling system filter installation - xpost
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 09:18:01 +0200
Op 18-5-2013 1:20, Steve B. Gerow schreef:
> Peter Roses and I have been running purified water with water-wetter for a
> couple of years. This resulted in us both having to have our radiators
> serviced due to many of the tubes being clogged by rust flakes. Neither of us
> had a corrosion problem when we were running coolant mixtures.
>
> In addition to this, there is info online showing Water Wetter deteriorates
> after a while into a brownish gunk that can clog things up.
>
> I decided to install a Tefba cooling system filter at least for a while to
> capture any more rust bits still in the block and have pictures of the
> flushing results and Tefba install with info on the filter. (No financial
> interest)
>
> http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/coolingsysupgrade
>
> PS - an engineer at Royal Purple told me distilled or ionized purified water
> is the most aggressive corrosion agent. We should be using tap water or
> filtered drinking water. The minerals protect the engine.

This just shows you to use proper coolant or a mix of purified water and
anti-freeze in the future. Never ever use tap water as the minerals in
it will form a calcified crust and cause havoc in the engine and radiator.
Remove the thermostat, drain and flush the cooling system good and
proper using tap water first, than adding a can/bottle of radiator
cleaner to it, run the engine for about an hour, drain and flush the
engine thoroughly, drain, re-instal the thermostat and fill up with
organic coolant, In Europe the green stuff. Do not use inorganic coolant
(red/purple) as this may be harmful to older type seals and gaskets.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL