Re: [Healeys] BN1 Head

To: Simon Griffin <simon_grif@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 Head
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@hotkey.net.au>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 18:43:04 +1000
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Simon Griffin wrote:

>I have been reading Bill Piggott's book about the 100 and of course there are
>several references to Westlake being contracted to design the head for the
>100M.  However, is it not fair to say that Westlake designed the stock cast
>iron head on the BN1?  Or I suppose if being honest he desinged it for the
>A90, not the AH.  Poking around and photographing everything today, I note a
>Westlake patent number cast into the head just in front of the #1 spark plug.
>
>Simon
>Troy, Il
>______________

        Harry Weslake was a proflic engine designer.   He has quite a
number of patents for head design and combustion chamber details in
particular.  Re BMC he was responsible for the 'heart' shape of the
cylinder combustion chamber which gave good swirl to the incoming
fuel/air     mixture promoting the burn characteristics he considered
optimum.
    This combustion chamber was applied to a number of BMC cylinder
heads.
    Harry was also given credit for the A-Series cross flow semi
downdraught head used on the late ( 1967 & 68 )  Sebring and LeMans
Sprites that used Lucas mechanical fuel injection.  Good for 150mph at
LeMans with a 1293cc engine

    Dan Gurney used him to design his formula one 12 cylinder
Guerny-Weslake engine

    Harry also was called upon to design a single cylinder speedway bike
engine.

        Joe