Re: [Healeys] Oil cooler

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil cooler
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 09:11:53 +0200
Lubrication is not all about oil pressure, the flow is also important.
If the oil pressure drops a bit when the engine becomes very hot, do not
worry. It means that the flow of oil is increased which is a good thing
as it will help to transport heat away from the bearing surfaces. 35 psi
when very hot does not sound as if anything is amiss. Maximum
permissible oil temperature in the sump is around 1300C, normal oil
temperatures are much lower than that though.
Under normal circumstances there is no need for an oil cooler, but if
you are doing some serious competition work you may need one. It is wise
to install an oil temperature gauge first, just to see what the actual
pattern is.
A 13 row radiator would generally be fine but you can choose more. Make
sure, however, that you also install a thermostat in the oil lines to
make sure that the oil is reaching its proper temperature and is not
over cooled.
Any tuning shop should be able to help you out as these items are more
or less generic.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL