[Healeys] BN.3s

To: Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] BN.3s
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@hotkey.net.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:08:57 +1000
As a long time Healey person who has had the pleasure of seeing BOTH
BN.3s I can tell you we are talking chalk and cheese.

Not only are there two different cars, but a result of two completely
different strategies.

The car found in Canada has a very vague history . It is now in the
Dutch Healey Museum.       The Pat & Caroline Quinn car in Australia has
a very well documented history showing regular ( for a Healey with
colourfull history ) use by several owners.

The Canada car is a non-Healey chassis that has a sedan car front
cross-member and suspension resulting in a wider track and caused the
wheels to be just covered by packing out the bottom of the front fender.
 According to the Healey books it was also tried with a De-Dion rear
suspension but there is very little sign of how this may have been
attached and it was not fitted when I viewed the car.  This car when I
saw it in UK unrestored had definite signs of having been on the road.
ie. choke cable and a crude soft top.  Without its body panels it would
be almost unrecognisable as a Healey 100.  To me it was an engineering
exercise to see the impact of several requests from I think Austin to
cut costs and/or inrease appeal????
The extra length to accomodate the 2 + 2  was covered in the body panels
by increasing the distance between the rear of the door opening and the
rear wheel opening.

Pat and Caroline's car is basically a pre-production car based on a
completed 100 car modified to show a 2 + 2 configuration with six
cylinder engine and gearbox.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Me,  I have a BJ.8 with phase 1 alloy panels, dropped down chassis, no
production grille, a flat alloy dash black vinyl covered and alloy doors
fitted with sliding side screens. No grille or bumpers were fitted. No
door linings or creature comfort. Almost permanently fitted with a
'works' hardtop. All factory fitted and verified by Geoff Healey