Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 5, Issue 445

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 5, Issue 445
From: editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 07:12:39 -0400 (EDT)
 Ira,
Hope you got the car to ABFM. Near-term a little weeping around the fitting is
no big deal. Just keep the coolant topped up. Longer term, if the advice to
back it out of the hole without cutting, then sealing it with a little
non-setting sealant, doesn't work, you can have the gauge rebuilt. Palo Alto
Speedo does these frequently and Hartmut there knows what he's doing. It will
be returned with a wire coil around the copper ether tube, which is as
original. You might ask them when you call to arrange the order and confirm
that is still the case. Unless you specify otherwise, the gauge will come back
with copper finish, but the purists would specify that the tube be zinc-plated
to be exactly as original.

If worse comes to worse, as noted, you can run the car with a bolt filling the
sender hole in the block, but also as noted, you wouldn't want to risk the
brand-new car on any more than 15-20 minutes of driving with that fix in place
since, as noted, you won't have any indicator of coolant temp until it's too
late and steam is pouring out from under the bonnet.

G.

Gary Anderson
Editor-at-large, Austin-Healey Magazine