Re: [Healeys] Gasoline fumes in the boot of a 100

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gasoline fumes in the boot of a 100
From: José Vicente Vargas <jvvmusme@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 07:40:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
I usually don't spend waste my money unneceseraly so I do not fill the tank of
my 100m with gasoline, just air....

I had the same problem and used silicone
gasket maker, and more or less it works. I believe that some of the smell may
be reaching the boot via the gas cap.... british... therefore ... it leaks or
does not seal

Jose

<bspidell@comcast.net>
September 4, 2013 9:24 AM
>Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gasoline fumes in the boot
of a 100

>I haven't had any luck with the new rubber (viton?) gaskets.
Good ol' cork, maybe with an appropriate sealant, is
>probably your best bet.
>
>Bob
>

>On 9/3/2013 11:50 PM, Charles Rice wrote:
>>       Trying to fix
the strong gasoline fumes in the trunk (boot) of my BN2.

>> I have
installed an external vent on the filler neck, and plugged the vent

>> hole
in the filler cap.  I'm sure the output fitting is tight and not
>> leaking.
>>
>> A new steel tank was installed several years ago. The sending unit is

original,

>> but does not appear to be warped or cracked anywhere and works
OK.

>>       I found fuel leaking around the sending unit, particularly
when the
>> tank
>>
>> is full.  I cleaned the contact surfaces of the unit
and the tank, replaced
>> the cork
>>
>> gasket with a new premium ("Viton")
gasket (from Moss), and used the correct

>> screws and copper washers.
But the leak is still there.  I suppose next I
>> should try
>>
>> some kind
of sealant, what kind should I look for that would be fuelproof?

Thanks - Charles Rice  BN2

Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/jvvmusme@yahoo.com