Re: [Healeys] Drain taps

To: jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Drain taps
From: Larry Wendland <bighealey3k@aim.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 22:56:20 -0400 (EDT)
What condition are the springs on the taps?  They can be rusted to the
point that they don't have enough spring action to hold the tapered
valve against the tapered valve body to prevent the coolant from
leaking out.  In the past I have reconditioned them with very fine
crocus cloth or better yet very fine lapping compound and fabricated
new springs out of the correct diameter size spring from a hardware
store or source of your choice.  Then reassemble with grease to keep
them from sticking in the future.  I even coat the spring with LPS 3 to
prevent rusting in the future.

Larry
'67 BJ8