Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:26:31 +0200
When new the cars used DOT3 as DOT4 was not available yet. DOT4 is an
improved DOT3. DOT5 is a silicon brake fluid that is not hygroscopic
like DOT3/4, however is can not be mixed with DOT3/4 and once a system
has been filled with DOT3/4 it is not wise to refill the system with
DOT5 even after it has been rinsed thoroughly. Only if all rubber
components have been renewed you can use DOT5 safely.
There is another brake fluid DOT5.1 which can be regarded as an improved
version of DOT4. This does mix with DOT3/4 but not with DOT5.
Use DOT4, any make will do, widely available, cheap and safe. It will
absorb water so you have to change the fluid every 2-3 years, depending
on the climate. Because of this you will automatically clean out the
system periodically
DOT5 hardly absorbs any water, which, if entered, then will collect in
some low spot in the system and cause corrosion unnoticed. Most people
think that you do not have to change it periodically because the is no
water absorption, however there is still wear in the system. It is also
slightly compressible giving a very slightly spongy feeling. These are
the reasons I do not like to use it.
A can of worms has been opened again.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

--
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl