Re: [Healeys] fuel gauge calibration

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] fuel gauge calibration
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 11:53:41 +0100
Depending on the make/type of car these Smiths/Jaeger gauges can
indicate a (nearly) full tank for a fairly long time and then drop to
1/4 full rather quickly, the system is notoriously inaccurate. Just
learn to live with it and fill up when it reads about 1/4 full to be on
the safe side or check the odometer as a guide when to fill up. It is
probably because of the way the lever arm in the sender is moving and
certainly the shape of the fuel tank. This is different from in every
car make and type and is the cause of a non-linear signal.
However if the gauge is really at fault find an identical Smiths on
ebay.co.uk and transfer the Jaeger dial to it, taking great care not to
bend the indicator hand. The Smiths gauge being way cheaper than the
difficult to find Jaeger item. The gauges are absolutely identical but
for the brand name.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL