[Healeys] Camshaft/crank sprockets

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Camshaft/crank sprockets
From: Elton Schulz <eschulz@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 22:54:21 -0500
Fellow Listers,
As a novice, I need some help. I'm reassembling my 3000 engine and I am
puzzled as how to align the camshaft sprocket with the crank. The
workshop manual says "set the crankshaft and camshaft with the keyways
approx. at TDC when seen from the front." I assume that means having the
keyways on both shafts pointing straight up. It seems to me that this is
an imprecise way of aligning both shafts. For example, there are no
dimples on either of my sprockets to align with each other like on an MG
engine.
Could you instruct me on how this should be done?
Thanks in advance,
Elton
BJ7 in progress