Re: [Healeys] LBC wreck

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] LBC wreck
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:10:37 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Thread-index: cjdW5tT9dRr2PWXdgZ8DuuOR1TcrBQ== s=q20121106; t=1385140238; bh=doLPXmEu3EuXAe4nNeCBuGCAi2wPuz2cWVfTfvNogdI=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=HX7rr+ZqPqKXBu9vmAUA/oTJVORLBUlfNFmRJ/iLscxsP8aIVmq6Z3ClH+I4pqi5s vJ8BPU7yUiY+YrjJb0P1166iSPcihwXx6gooX/tBRKnKYxPySNSmveN8AEVbDsw1w8 jQsu5NFlSfzizvqMBCWW3va7WIEgLPbDfP+Jt9Gh9heL2qxifq/fx9CF6JitNt74dR tUzM2fWYvLZHU7DhPVIAz/MYvUdrw6//l9b0PeWbwC/aDyVN9i+6OmJnlzduoPqhlf m0c7w4cF2uoO9aPzxngYWNLQNHxrTinUEm+H2c4MfLOFmP7OBDPAWOcA7IKaFUHMgV nZ6xl0lXRDEDw==
Ugh. Glad your friend was not too badly hurt (neck soreness may show up later).

Unfortunately, the rear-ender is probably the hardest accident to avoid, no
matter how diligent and defensive your driving. The idiots in front and abeam
will often signal their incompetency/intentions with 'body language'--my
favorite is the guy who turns on his blinker after he's drifted halfway into
your lane already--but, no matter how often you 'check six' there usually isn't
enough time and/or 'outs' to avoid these. I've lived in the SF Bay Area for 30+
years and have been rear-ended at least 6 times (I've lost track).

In a perverse way--and I hate being tailgated as much as anybody--the guy who's
riding your ass is probably less of a threat because he's paying attention and
ready to slow if necessary. It's the people sitting a couple car-lengths back
checking their smartphone who don't realize the closing time is a second or two
who scare me the most.

Bob