Re: [Healeys] spacers behind the wheel hub?

To: "Jerry Costanzo" <grumpyinloomis@ssctv.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] spacers behind the wheel hub?
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:57:45 -0700
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Jerry:

I ran into a bit of the same problem BJ8 (late), 457F wheels, (other wheel
#'s have different offsets), Vred 185 / 70 15's.  No sign of contact on the
inner fender, but slight signs of grazing on the bump stop bolts, which were
installed as per the book, with a flat washer and a lock washer.  Took both
washers out - installed the bolts without anything - no contact.  I may
switch to a pan head bolt, or even a countersunk bolt to give a bit more
clearance.

We checked the rear axle housing play - if it's moving too much side to side
in corners, you can get the same problem with a wide tire.  My car is a
fresh restoration - new bushings, everything as tight as it should be
(u-bolt nuts).  The axle housing was effectively not moving at all.  The car
has the Putzke Bilstein shock kit installed, which should not affect side to
side axle housing movement.  I have not sorted out the wheels / tires - I
have a bit of lateral run out on both rear wheels.  The bump stop bolt
'tracks' don't go all the way around the tire.  I'll be sorting that out in
the near future.

You want to be cautious about wheel spacers with the wide tire - you don't
want to get the wheels too far to the outside.  Reworking the bump stop
bolts, and maybe 'massaging' the inner fenders just a bit might do the
trick - depending on where and how much the contact is.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb