Re: [Healeys] Pulling camshaft in situ ...

To: bspidell@comcast.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Pulling camshaft in situ ...
From: Larry Wendland <bighealey3k@aim.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 22:39:12 -0400 (EDT)
Bob,  There was some discussion about this on the list some years back
and it can be done.  On the factory racing Healeys the radiator and
grill have to come out and a relief cut was made on the cross member
that is in front of the radiator to allow the cam to clear on it's way
out of the block.  You may be able to avoid the relief cut by unbolting
the forward engine mounts at the frame and jack up the front of the
engine to enable the cam to clear the cross member.  Maybe some one on
the list has first hand experience with this.  In addition you are
going to have to gain access to the front pulley nut and remove the
pulley and timing chain cover which I did many years ago by jacking up
the front of the engine so I could replace a timing chain tensioner.
The nut was so tight, I had to use an impact wrench to get the nut
loose.

Larry
'67 BJ8