Re: [Healeys] HS4 float chamber gaskets

To: John Spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] HS4 float chamber gaskets
From: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:53:58 +0000
John:
I don't think it really matters if they were hanging past the lid, I believe
that the important part is how they fit against the inner lip, they should fit
snug against it in my opinion or perhaps they were too thin as well and did
not provide a seal between the bowl and the lid.

Jean

> From: jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:43:04 -0700
> Subject: [Healeys] HS4 float chamber gaskets
>
> I noticed a little fuel around the lid of the float bowl where the gasket
> sits on two carbs. I replaced the gaskets with similar new black ones that
> are slightly oversized (the hang past the lid). They failed as if they were
> wicking gas from the bowl onto the bowl gasket mating surface. The fuel was
> not coming from the overflow or leaking at the lines. I made new gaskets
and
> it solved the problem.
>

> How can brand new gaskets fail like this? They were not damaged and the lid
> and bowl mating surfaces were not damaged either.
>

> John Spaur
>
> '62 BT7
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/vintage_roadster_restoration@ho