Re: [Healeys] Watkins Glen Vintage Festival date change

Subject: Re: [Healeys] Watkins Glen Vintage Festival date change
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 09:50:22 -0500
Cc: Casey Creamer <casey@senecasaw.com>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
References: <AA5378EB05A540EDBF7C85F9DD18E1A3@HomePC> <545C2CCF.4010705@comcast.net> <CAB3i7LKjcYJm5ys3u=xziqcKXGFLmYOe40WDydUYhcArPDaYsQ@mail.gmail.com> <8A33981B-F248-4109-A203-844AFF43D0AF@me.com> s=q20140121; t=1415544626; bh=jjlmr/WXTrVQdnFPXk6S5LsClgDk0+IoYEkciifuHXs=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:Subject: Content-Type; b=sWRa/JIf09ARKUHY9Lm+JPe/3vDqB3/CQ2d4cVSlZs03Pz7uMGaZ8IggKgHJ78NIp 8aZA3SjrFlVcT7wvwp71zDElEHInV+SpvyEAHR985zTCr0G/1CQLBRSkLFScYUp+5+ zDibedbXvmjftsQyPrUcor+WWiQHLlRGAMcfBN0yeFA9Xf9cuKiVYdsiONttXfPvrn ZDgGvk8XUzZCGhNkvWD3D9AdsYQBv7lQdepUaZsU8WWjXPjbbchH+9L2Az97OrqVVs ZqXJ3QXtT6dvkxxjM88/hpZIXvoAk0F+tL1u8ir3a8Nf7/iHAhT54HePQmBo1RUa9b /53LZs5612I3w==
If the Vintage Grand Prix Festival follows the normal schedule, which
would include the Tour de Marque of which Austin-Healey is the featured
marque, leaving Friday morning for Watkins Glen will assure that you
miss most of the events of the Vintage Festival.  The Tour de Marque
will start early Friday morning, so to participate you must drive to
Watkins on Thursday.

I would urge the organizers of Enclave to shift the schedule so that
there is little of consequence happening from noon Thursday on or all of
those who plan to do both will not be able to attend any of the Thursday
afternoon and evening events which includes the Awards Banquet.  Of
course if the Gymkhana trophies are given out at the banquet, then the
Gymkhana would need to be earlier also.  Actually it could be to the
clubs' advantage to advertise the Vintage Festival as part of the whole
experience.  Many of us familiar with both locations and events can help
those who are not.  This could also help out the Vintage Festival and
WGI folks to fill up their events.  Last year, with MG as the featured
marque, the Tour de Marque filled up, actually over filled, and an
additional event was added by the folks at the track for MGs.  This
could also help to fill other driving events at the Vintage Festival.

Many Austin-Healey owners may say that they don't care about vintage
racing or whatever goes on at Watkins Glen, but not changing the
schedule would force people to chose and therefore cut down
participation in both events.  Historically the Tour de Marque is set up
for 120 cars, so it would not be a good thing for 120 cars to leave
Enclave at noon on Thursday unless the schedule is changed.

Geographically it would be so easy to do both because to get to the
Watkins Glen area from Gettysburg is a straight shot up US 15, very easy
for someone not necessarily familiar with either location.

So I implore the Enclave organizers to get in touch with Watkins Glen
Promotions and try to work something out.  To do that email Casey
Creamer at casey@senecasaw.com.  He is high up in the group that runs
the Vintage Grand Prix Festival and can try to do whatever possible on
his end.  But knowing what the schedule was last year for the Tour de
Marque when MG was featured, I can't see that they can do much to change
the schedule at their end at all.  Casey should at least be aware of the
conflict, but his group is already reacting to the change made by
Watkins Glen International as required by the paving project.  So I
suspect that everyone else will need to schedule around what the track
has already decided.

Let me know how I can help.

Charlie Baldwin
York, PA (born in Gettysburg)