Re: [Healeys] ducting

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] ducting
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:30:41 +0100
Joe,

You are quite right about the cooling at speed, you do not generally
need any fan in a car with a front mounted radiator. In fact an electric
fan could be restrictive when demanding high power at high speed, e.g.
when racing. However high power demand at low speed, e.g. in the
mountains, will demand extra ventilation i.e. electric cooling fan as
the standard fan is usually not sufficient.
I remember the days well, back in the fifties and sixties, when many
cars had to stop several times to cool down when crossing the St.
Gotthard or Grossglockner pass or one of the French Alpine passes. By
the way also caused by tourists travelling in to high a gear and low revs.

The problem lies in modern traffic where you may stop and go at less
than 5mph for more than an hour, certainly not uncommon on our roads in
the Netherlands. There is hardly a way to properly duct hot air away,
which means you would need a very close fitting electric fan as the ones
common on modern cars.
When applying ducting make sure that the ducting in front of the
radiator scoops up as much air as possible (air dam) and that there are
no air leaks that allow air past the radiator or allow hot air from the
engine compartment to flow back to the front of the radiator.
It goes without saying that all cooling and cooled surfaces should be
clean, so should be the coolant.
In all my cars I have had with a fixed fan on the water pump or crank
shaft ( Renault 4, Landrover SIII, Chevrolet Bel Air, Peugeot 404,
Jensen Healey etc.) from the early sixties onwards, I removed the fixed
fan altogether and replaced it with a thermostatically controlled
electric fan, mostly from the breakers yard, and replaced the thermostat
with a ca. 86°C item if needed, changed the coolant every two years and
never had a problem except once when a fuse of the electric fan blew.

To reduce air pressure in the engine compartment often a panel is
introduced from the bottom of the radiator shroud back to beyond the
front of the engine .

Kees Oudesluijs