Re: [Healeys] New Post Overdrive Installation Tool

To: John <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] New Post Overdrive Installation Tool
From: Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:17:56 -0500
Cc: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--089e011606a0347c66050d808ed0

I have been on this list for quite a number of years and have learned
uncountable and invaluable answers to problems I have had with my BJ7.  For
the most part I remain quiet because of the vast knowledge, experience and
quick responses of many of the individuals on this list.  I respect their
knowledge and experience.  When I respond to others with my comments or
solutions, it is usually off list but  I think I can offer some insight to
the mounting of the overdrive unit.  Did I mention that this list is
terrific!

Last year I had a problem with my overdrive not disengaging.  I thought
about the problem and I removed the overdrive from the transmission,
leaving the transmission attached to the engine.  It can't be done you
say.  Oh but it can be.  I simply jacked the rear of the transmission up to
the point that the overdrive could be pulled off.  I exchanged the
overdrive unit for a rebuilt one and I was ready to replace the overdrive.
Now on to my solution.

Michael is quite right about the pump cam.  Looking at his pictures you can
follow my solution.  I used mechanic's safety wire with a full loop thru
the conveniently located hole in the pump base and wired the cam to the
lowest position I could.  Note on the pump cam that there is a high point
and a low point.  I placed the high point in the 12 o'clock position on the
output shaft and therefore the low point was in the 6 o'clock position.
This placed the low point just above the pump roller offering the maximum
clearance between the pump and the cam.

Here is the rest of my story.  There are two sets of internal clutch
splines.  When looking at the two sets of splines, the upper spline rotates
clockwise and should be positioned so that the groves line up (by eye or
with a dummy shaft) with the ridges on the end of the output shaft.  At
this point, don't worry about the lower set of splines.  On the bench, on
the floor or in the car, slide the overdrive onto the output shaft.  You
will have to rotate the overdrive back and forth a bit to get the first set
of splines to slide onto the shaft. The overdrive should slide on to about
3/8" to 1/2" between the housings mating up.  Now that the overdrive is
mounted to the first set of splines, leaving the overdrive on the
transmission, use mechanics safety wire to wire the rear output flange, in
about 3 places, to the overdrive unit.  Do this so tightly that the drive
flange cannot move. I put a bolt in place on each side of the overdrive in
the rear mounting (to the frame rails) holes.

Now, remove the overdrive unit and place it on the bench.  The drive flange
cannot move and therefore the upper set of splines cannot move.  Look
inside at the bottom set of splines.  They must be aligned with the upper
splines.  Using a long screwdriver rotate the lower splines
counterclockwise until they line up with the upper splines.  Now, slide the
overdrive unit onto the output shaft and things should go together with no
problem. Secure the overdrive to the transmission with the bolts, remove
the safety wire from the pump and then remove the safety wire securing the
drive flange.

This is what worked for me after many hours of trying to get the two sets
of splines to line up.  Things went back together so easily that at first I
didn't realize it was back together.  The really difficult part is getting
the two sets of splines to align along with the fact that the lower splines
rotate counterclockwise.

I hope this helps someone else.

Fred
63 BJ7

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM, John <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Very elegant solution.

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/fredwescoe@gmail.com

--089e011606a0347c66050d808ed0

t for quite a number of years and have learned uncountable and invaluable a=
nswers to problems I have had with my BJ7.=C2=A0 For the most part I remain=
 quiet because of the vast knowledge, experience and quick responses of man=
y of the individuals on this list.=C2=A0 I respect their knowledge and expe=
rience.=C2=A0 When I respond to others with my comments or solutions, it is=
 usually off list but=C2=A0 I think I can offer some insight to the mountin=
g of the overdrive unit.=C2=A0 Did I mention that this list is terrific!<br=
=A0 I thought about the problem and I removed the overdrive from the transm=
ission, leaving the transmission attached to the engine.=C2=A0 It can&#39;t=
 be done you say.=C2=A0 Oh but it can be.=C2=A0 I simply jacked the rear of=
 the transmission up to the point that the overdrive could be pulled off.=
=C2=A0 I exchanged the overdrive unit for a rebuilt one and I was ready to =
replace the overdrive.=C2=A0 Now on to my solution.<br><br>Michael is quite=
 right about the pump cam.=C2=A0 Looking at his pictures you can follow my =
solution.=C2=A0 I used mechanic&#39;s safety wire with a full loop thru the=
 conveniently located hole in the pump base and wired the cam to the lowest=
 position I could.=C2=A0 Note on the pump cam that there is a high point an=
d a low point.=C2=A0 I placed the high point in the 12 o&#39;clock position=
 on the output shaft and therefore the low point was in the 6 o&#39;clock p=
osition.=C2=A0 This placed the low point just above the pump roller offerin=
the rest of my story.=C2=A0 There are two sets of internal clutch splines.=
=C2=A0 When looking at the two sets of splines, the upper spline rotates cl=
ockwise and should be positioned so that the groves line up (by eye or with=
 a dummy shaft) with the ridges on the end of the output shaft.=C2=A0 At th=
is point, don&#39;t worry about the lower set of splines.=C2=A0 On the benc=
h, on the floor or in the car, slide the overdrive onto the output shaft.=
=C2=A0 You will have to rotate the overdrive back and forth a bit to get th=
e first set of splines to slide onto the shaft. The overdrive should slide =
on to about 3/8&quot; to 1/2&quot; between the housings mating up.=C2=A0 No=
w that the overdrive is mounted to the first set of splines, leaving the ov=
erdrive on the transmission, use mechanics safety wire to wire the rear out=
put flange, in about 3 places, to the overdrive unit.=C2=A0 Do this so tigh=
tly that the drive flange cannot move. I put a bolt in place on each side o=
f the overdrive in the rear mounting (to the frame rails) holes.<br><br></d=
iv>Now, remove the overdrive unit and place it on the bench.=C2=A0 The driv=
e flange cannot move and therefore the upper set of splines cannot move.=C2=
=A0 Look inside at the bottom set of splines.=C2=A0 They must be aligned wi=
th the upper splines.=C2=A0 Using a long screwdriver rotate the lower splin=
es counterclockwise until they line up with the upper splines.=C2=A0 Now, s=
lide the overdrive unit onto the output shaft and things should go together=
 with no problem. Secure the overdrive to the transmission with the bolts, =
remove the safety wire from the pump and then remove the safety wire securi=
rs of trying to get the two sets of splines to line up.=C2=A0 Things went b=
ack together so easily that at first I didn&#39;t realize it was back toget=
her.=C2=A0 The really difficult part is getting the two sets of splines to =
align along with the fact that the lower splines rotate counterclockwise.<b=
n, Jan 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM, John <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:j=
msdarch@sbcglobal.net" target=3D"_blank">jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net</a>&gt;</sp=
an> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;=
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"pu=
rple" lang=3D"EN-US"><div><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:1=
1.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1f497d">Very elegan=
s/fredwescoe@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/opt=
ions/healeys/fredwescoe@gmail.com</a><br>

--089e011606a0347c66050d808ed0--