Re: [Healeys] Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival

To: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival
From: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 01:58:17 +0000

--_83af4afb-e37f-4a5a-94fb-197aef96c7d6_

Charlie:
Sadly this does not surprise me at all when you consider the egos of some w=
ho are running these Clubs.=20

Jean

> Date: Tue=2C 3 Feb 2015 20:36:52 -0500
> From: mgcharlie@comcast.net
> To: healeys@autox.team.net=3B joninsman@comcast.net=3B bjspear1@verizon.n=
et
> Subject: [Healeys] Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival
>=20
> I have some new information for those of you who may be interested in=20
> the festival on September 11=2C 2015 in Watkins Glen.  Actually it will=20
> probably last for the entire weekend since the SVRA vintage races have=20
> been rescheduled by WGI to the weekend of July 24 because the track will=
=20
> be being paved in September.
>=20
> If you know anything about the Watkins Glen area=2C you know that there=20
> are several very worthwhile attractions other than racing at WGI.  In=20
> fact Watkins Glen was a tourist destination long before there was any=20
> racing going on there.  The beauty of Watkins Glen State Park=2C the=20
> gorge=2C is unsurpassed.  Seneca Lake is also quite beautiful with vistas=
=20
> from the hills surrounding it and there are tour boats plying the waters=
=20
> of the lake.  Seneca Lake is one of the finger lakes with Cayuga Lake to=
=20
> the east and Keuka Lake to the west.  Lake Ontario is a bit over 60=20
> miles to the north.  There are wineries galore in the area to stop in=20
> and check out and take some wine home with you.  The Glenn H. Curtiss=20
> Aviation Museum is in Hammondsport on Keuka Lake.  And there is also=20
> Corning Glass to the south.
>=20
> After last year's Grand Prix Festival and vintage race weekend=20
> Austin-Healey was announced as the featured marque for this year's=20
> festival.  Many of us Healey owners said it was about time.  After MG=20
> and Triumph participation at British car shows=2C Austin-Healeys usually=
=20
> have the next largest number of cars attending.  So after roughly 20=20
> years of the festival=2C we finally were named as the Tour de Marque bran=
d.
>=20
> Unfortunately that has been sabotaged by someone in our midst.  Some AH=20
> (no hyphen and nothing to do with Donald Healey) who is high up in a=20
> leadership position of one of our clubs declared that we would not care=20
> to participate because there are no races going on in September this year=
.
> Casey Creamer is one of the organizers of the GPF and put it this way:
>=20
> "When we decide on a featured marque=2C one of the major considerations i=
s whether we have club buy in. In this case we were essentially told off by=
 the people putting on the enclave. So we quickly dropped that idea=2C call=
ed the artist who works on the poster and told him to scrap what he was doi=
ng and now we are working on coming up with a different marque with club bu=
y in. I understand that you are sort of offering some club buy in=2C but if=
 the enclave people are poo pooing the idea of being the featured marque wh=
en there are no races=2C that will be a lot of negative attitude if we were=
 to ignore them and do it anyway."
>=20
> So now thanks to some jerk in a leadership position in one of our clubs C=
asey believes that they would be lucky to get 25 Austin-Healeys to sign up =
for the TDM.  Whoever it is that told him that should resign from their pos=
ition in disgrace.  With well over 1=2C000 Austin-Healey club members withi=
n a state or so away from Watkins Glen=2C I believe that even with no vinta=
ge races we could come up with 100 cars which is what they would like to se=
e at a minimum.  The event holds up to 120.
>=20
> But those up on high have ordered Watkins Glen Promotions to not have Aus=
tin-Healey as the featured marque=2C so they are afraid to disobey.
>=20
> It is probably too late to resurrect our marque as the featured marque th=
is year=2C but it may help if you have interest in Austin-Healey being the =
featured marque in the future that you email casey and let him know that. I=
 suspect that many were holding off to find out what exactly is planned for=
 the festival this year.  And the website has not been updated so it seems =
that they will charge $140 with no laps of the WGI circuit and no tickets f=
or the vintage races.
_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com
>=20
                                          =

--_83af4afb-e37f-4a5a-94fb-197aef96c7d6_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
surprise me at all when you consider the egos of some who are running these=
500<br>&gt=3B From: mgcharlie@comcast.net<br>&gt=3B To: healeys@autox.team.=
net=3B joninsman@comcast.net=3B bjspear1@verizon.net<br>&gt=3B Subject: [He=
aleys] Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B I have some ne=
w information for those of you who may be interested in <br>&gt=3B the fest=
ival on September 11=2C 2015 in Watkins Glen.  Actually it will <br>&gt=3B =
probably last for the entire weekend since the SVRA vintage races have <br>=
&gt=3B been rescheduled by WGI to the weekend of July 24 because the track =
ow anything about the Watkins Glen area=2C you know that there <br>&gt=3B a=
re several very worthwhile attractions other than racing at WGI.  In <br>&g=
t=3B fact Watkins Glen was a tourist destination long before there was any =
 the <br>&gt=3B gorge=2C is unsurpassed.  Seneca Lake is also quite beautif=
ul with vistas <br>&gt=3B from the hills surrounding it and there are tour =
boats plying the waters <br>&gt=3B of the lake.  Seneca Lake is one of the =
finger lakes with Cayuga Lake to <br>&gt=3B the east and Keuka Lake to the =
west.  Lake Ontario is a bit over 60 <br>&gt=3B miles to the north.  There =
are wineries galore in the area to stop in <br>&gt=3B and check out and tak=
e some wine home with you.  The Glenn H. Curtiss <br>&gt=3B Aviation Museum=
 is in Hammondsport on Keuka Lake.  And there is also <br>&gt=3B Corning Gl=
ass to the south.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B After last year's Grand Prix Festiva=
l and vintage race weekend <br>&gt=3B Austin-Healey was announced as the fe=
atured marque for this year's <br>&gt=3B festival.  Many of us Healey owner=
s said it was about time.  After MG <br>&gt=3B and Triumph participation at=
 British car shows=2C Austin-Healeys usually <br>&gt=3B have the next large=
st number of cars attending.  So after roughly 20 <br>&gt=3B years of the f=
estival=2C we finally were named as the Tour de Marque brand.<br>&gt=3B <br=
>&gt=3B Unfortunately that has been sabotaged by someone in our midst.  Som=
e AH <br>&gt=3B (no hyphen and nothing to do with Donald Healey) who is hig=
h up in a <br>&gt=3B leadership position of one of our clubs declared that =
we would not care <br>&gt=3B to participate because there are no races goin=
g on in September this year.<br>&gt=3B Casey Creamer is one of the organize=
rs of the GPF and put it this way:<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B "When we decide on =
a featured marque=2C one of the major considerations is whether we have clu=
b buy in. In this case we were essentially told off by the people putting o=
n the enclave. So we quickly dropped that idea=2C called the artist who wor=
ks on the poster and told him to scrap what he was doing and now we are wor=
king on coming up with a different marque with club buy in. I understand th=
at you are sort of offering some club buy in=2C but if the enclave people a=
re poo pooing the idea of being the featured marque when there are no races=
=2C that will be a lot of negative attitude if we were to ignore them and d=
o it anyway."<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B So now thanks to some jerk in a leadersh=
ip position in one of our clubs Casey believes that they would be lucky to =
get 25 Austin-Healeys to sign up for the TDM.  Whoever it is that told him =
that should resign from their position in disgrace.  With well over 1=2C000=
 Austin-Healey club members within a state or so away from Watkins Glen=2C =
I believe that even with no vintage races we could come up with 100 cars wh=
ich is what they would like to see at a minimum.  The event holds up to 120=
.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B But those up on high have ordered Watkins Glen Promo=
tions to not have Austin-Healey as the featured marque=2C so they are afrai=
d to disobey.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B It is probably too late to resurrect our=
 marque as the featured marque this year=2C but it may help if you have int=
erest in Austin-Healey being the featured marque in the future that you ema=
il casey and let him know that. I suspect that many were holding off to fin=
d out what exactly is planned for the festival this year.  And the website =
has not been updated so it seems that they will charge $140 with no laps of=
 the WGI circuit and no tickets for the vintage races.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B=
 Here is Casey's email address: casey@senecasaw.com.  And here is the websi=
te for the festival:<br>&gt=3B http://www.grandprixfestival.com/participant=
pport Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>&gt=3B Suggested annual d=
onation  $12.75<br>&gt=3B Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>&gt=3B Fo=
rums: http://www.team.net/forums<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Healeys@autox.team.ne=

--_83af4afb-e37f-4a5a-94fb-197aef96c7d6_--