Re: [Healeys] Electrical - general questions BT7

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Electrical - general questions BT7
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:56:05 -0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
First off battery voltages: a wet cell battery produces 2.12V/cell when fully
charged.
So a fully charged 12V is 2.12 X 6= 12.72V. Anything above 12.6V is accepted as
fully charged
Anything above 12.72 is surface charge that has to be removed for testing by
letting the battery sit or turning on the headlights for about a minute.
So: 12.6 fully charged
12.4. 3/4 charge
12.25. 1/2 charge
12.0 1/4 charge
Michael, your numbers for voltage drops is too high by a factor of at least 2
if not more.
Auto industry standard for a starter cable voltage drop is 0.2V +0.1V for each
connection or solenoid, so you get a standard spec of .2+.1+.1+.1=0.5V not
2.0V. Now the Healey has a long + cable so I might accept a drop of a little
more than 0.5V but for sure I would be doing a repair on 2V. On the ground side
I would expect about0.3V not 1V like you said.
Rick

Sent from my iPhone