Re: [Healeys] Starter motor binding BT7

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starter motor binding BT7
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 10:14:50 +0100
--===============7670291127550383769==
 boundary="------------090209050702080505030500"

--------------090209050702080505030500

There should be little play in the shaft so it is time to replace the
thrust washers. I am not 100% sure, but from memory I think it should be
a combination of 2 thinnish hardened steel washers and 1 thin fibre
washer sandwiched between the steel washers?
The pinion should only be lubricated by rubbing on some graphite powder
on the shaft. No oil or grease, that may cause binding because dirt gets
trapped in the oil/grease. The bushes should be cleaned, dried and
soaked for 24 hrs (or any other method) in fresh oil.

Kees Oudesluijs

John Spaur schreef op 22-2-2015 om 3:52:

> This was the general electrical question thread.
>
> The pinon gear is binding and not returning to its idle position which
> causes it to stay engaged with the flywheel starter gear. When this
> happens the engine will not turn over. If I remove the starter to
> correct the problem, as the shop manual states, the engine will turn
> over however, the pinon gear will bind again after a start or two.
>
> The only thing I can see that might be wrong is the armature shaft
> seems to have excessive endplay; I can move it back and forth quite a
> bit. There is a steel thrust washer, inside of the motor, between the
> starter end cap and the bearing bush that appears much worn.
>
> Has anybody experienced this problem and have they fixed it by
> replacing the thrust washer?
>
> John Spaur
>
> ?62 BT7

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.5646 / Virusdatabase: 4293/9155 - datum van uitgifte:
> 02/21/15

--------------090209050702080505030500

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      shaft so it is time to replace the thrust washers. I am not 100%
      sure, but from memory I think it should be a combination of 2
      thinnish hardened steel washers and 1 thin fibre washer sandwiched
      between the steel washers?<br>
      The pinion should only be lubricated by rubbing on some graphite
      powder on the shaft. No oil or grease, that may cause binding
      because dirt gets trapped in the oil/grease. The bushes should be
      cleaned, dried and soaked for 24 hrs (or any other method) in
      fresh oil.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      John Spaur schreef op 22-2-2015 om 3:52:<br>
      type="cite">
        charset=us-ascii">
        medium)">
          thread.</p>
          to its idle position which causes it to stay engaged with the
          flywheel starter gear. When this happens the engine will not
          turn over. If I remove the starter to correct the problem, as
          the shop manual states, the engine will turn over however, the
          pinon gear will bind again after a start or two.</p>
          wrong is the armature shaft seems to have excessive endplay; I
          can move it back and forth quite a bit. There is a steel
          thrust washer, inside of the motor, between the starter end
          cap and the bearing bush that appears much worn.</p>
          have they fixed it by replacing the thrust washer?</p>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        charset=us-ascii">
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5646 / Virusdatabase: 4293/9155 - datum van
        uitgifte: 02/21/15</p>

--------------090209050702080505030500--