Re: [Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts
From: Linwood Rose <linwoodrose@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 18:36:59 -0500
Cc: "Healeys, Forum" <Healeys@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-E2667A01-0D6A-4B10-8F00-08D8CB51DB4C
        charset=us-ascii

Michael,=20
My experience is limited to two Healeys and one Jaguar, but I could not agre=
e more with your conclusion.
Lin Rose

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 1, 2015, at 6:12 PM, Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com> wrote=
:
>=20
> Hi Josef,
> In your post you said "Most parts are ordered from China. You get a sample=
, you order a batch of 100, 500 or 1000 pieces."
> I really believe that the fault lies largely with the company ordering the=
 parts.=20
> If a sample is supplied it behooves the purchaser to thoroughly inspect an=
d test the sample. The BJ8 water pumps are a classic example. Anyone with ju=
st a little experience in the rebuilding of water pumps could easily have di=
sassembled such a sample and determined that the internal parts were not the=
 same as the original pump and were just not up to the job.=20
> As an individual I have managed to source the original seal and bearing fr=
om reputable suppliers.=20
> Using those parts it would have been a lot easier to have the castings mad=
e to the original specifications and an exact replica pump then produced.=20=

> The pumps that BMC produced were developed over many years and to casually=
 discard all that experience and think that one can easily design an externa=
lly similar pump using adapted modern parts that will be reliable, without e=
xtensive testing, is total folly.=20
> On another note Bob is absolutely correct in that owners will opt for repr=
oduction parts over restored originals every time in the mistaken belief tha=
t "new is better". Unfortunately the "disposable society" has conditioned th=
e most people to believe that new is always better!!
> =46rom hard learned experience I will ALWAYS opt for a good restorable ori=
ginal component over a new replacement every time even if it costs a lot mor=
e.=20
> Flame away!!!
>=20
> Michael S
> BN1 #174
>=20
>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:11 AM, josef-eckert@t-online.de <josef-eckert@t-=
online.de> wrote:
>> Sorry, but this is very naive thinking. I am working part time for a big p=
arts supplier here in Europe.
>> Most parts are ordered from China. You get a sample, you order a batch of=
 100, 500 or 1000 pieces. Perhaps you get 5% customer complains, which is no=
rmal, when the batch is slightly faulty you may get 10% customer complains. W=
hen its more you will have to think about the issue. When there are no compl=
ains, parts are not sent back, all is fine, even parts are faulty and custom=
ers fix on their oown. Often thee are no complains, even the part is faulty,=
 but its cheaper than the similar part from the competitor.
>> To put in a quality control in the system would raise the net purchase pr=
ice to a double or tripple. Customers move to the competitor, as you can`t s=
ell it to the prize your competitor does. You may not believe the low purcha=
se prize of these parts from China, but you need to buy batches of at least 1=
00 parts. So when they are faulty you need to sell most of them before you l=
ook for a different supplier. You can`t send these parts back, as delivery c=
osts are higher than the parts value and Chinese suppliers are not very cust=
omer friendly.
>>=20
>> Josef Eckert
>> Konigswinter/Germany
>>=20
>>=20
>> -----Original-Nachricht-----
>> Betreff: Re: [Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts
>> Datum: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 15:37:05 +0100
>> Von: "John Davidson" <jdavidso@shaw.ca>
>> An: "'Magnus Karlsson'" <magnuskarlsson@bornet.net>, "'Andy'" <sneddon@xs=
mail.com>
>>=20
>> I agree that such a listing would be a very valuable tool both for the ow=
ner
>> and the restorer to implicitly apply pressure to the industry. This
>> potentially will be seen by some in the industry as an opportunity to
>> justify higher pricing to eliminate the poor quality problems. The list
>> should be written in the positive as this will reduce the potential for a=
ny
>> legal actions as the list only contains those who have provided the prope=
>> part as close to original as technology improvements allow. This list wou=
ld
>> need to be "live" as there are suppliers who will genuinely not know that=

>> their suppliers/manufacturers have not met the "standard of acceptance" b=
ut
>> who would respond properly to being notified of the problem.
>>=20
>> John R Davidson, BN2, AN5
>> H (204) 895-4523, C (204) 295-9207
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael=
salter@gmail.com
>>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/linwoodr=
ose@mac.com
>=20

--Apple-Mail-E2667A01-0D6A-4B10-8F00-08D8CB51DB4C
        charset=utf-8

 is limited to two Healeys and one Jaguar, but I could not agree more with y=
On Mar 1, 2015, at 6:12 PM, Michael Salter &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michaelsalt=
e type=3D"cite"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Josef,<br></div><di=
v class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font=
-size:small">In your post you said<i> "Most parts are ordered from China. Yo=
ont-size:small">I really believe that the fault lies largely with the compan=
y ordering the parts. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-f=
amily:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">If a sample is supplied it b=
ehooves the purchaser to thoroughly inspect and test the sample. The BJ8 wat=
er pumps are a classic example. Anyone with just a little experience in the r=
ebuilding of water pumps could easily have disassembled such a sample and de=
termined that the internal parts were not the same as the original pump and w=
ere just not up to the job. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">As an individual I hav=
e managed to source the original seal and bearing from reputable suppliers. <=
br>Using those parts it would have been a lot easier to have the castings ma=
de to the original specifications and an exact replica pump then produced. <=
br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,san=
s-serif;font-size:small">The pumps that BMC produced were developed over man=
y years and to casually discard all that experience and think that one can e=
asily design an externally similar pump using adapted modern parts that will=
 be reliable, without extensive testing, is total folly. <br></div><div clas=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:=
small">On another note Bob is absolutely correct in that owners will opt for=
 reproduction parts over restored originals every time in the mistaken belie=
f that "new is better". Unfortunately the "disposable society" has condition=
ed the most people to believe that new is always better!!<br>=46rom hard lea=
rned experience I will ALWAYS opt for a good restorable original component o=
ver a new replacement every time even if it costs a lot more. <br></div><div=
 class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-=
"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br></div><d=
iv class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;fon=
ass=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:11 AM, <a href=3D"mailto:josef-=
eckert@t-online.de">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a> <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de"; target=3D"_blank">josef-eckert@t-onli=
rgin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Sorry, but this=
 is very naive thinking. I am working part time for a big parts supplier her=
e in Europe.<br>
Most parts are ordered from China. You get a sample, you order a batch of 10=
0, 500 or 1000 pieces. Perhaps you get 5% customer complains, which is norma=
l, when the batch is slightly faulty you may get 10% customer complains. Whe=
n its more you will have to think about the issue. When there are no complai=
ns, parts are not sent back, all is fine, even parts are faulty and customer=
s fix on their oown. Often thee are no complains, even the part is faulty, b=
ut its cheaper than the similar part from the competitor.<br>
To put in a quality control in the system would raise the net purchase price=
 to a double or tripple. Customers move to the competitor, as you can`t sell=
 it to the prize your competitor does. You may not believe the low purchase p=
rize of these parts from China, but you need to buy batches of at least 100 p=
arts. So when they are faulty you need to sell most of them before you look f=
or a different supplier. You can`t send these parts back, as delivery costs a=
re higher than the parts value and Chinese suppliers are not very customer f=
riendly.<br>
Josef Eckert<br>
Konigswinter/Germany<br>
-----Original-Nachricht-----<br>
Betreff: Re: [Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts<br>
Datum: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 15:37:05 +0100<br>
Von: "John Davidson" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jdavidso@shaw.ca";>jdavidso@shaw.c=
a</a>&gt;<br>
An: "'Magnus Karlsson'" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:magnuskarlsson@bornet.net";>mag=
nuskarlsson@bornet.net</a>&gt;, "'Andy'" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sneddon@xsmai=
l.com">sneddon@xsmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
I agree that such a listing would be a very valuable tool both for the owner=
and the restorer to implicitly apply pressure to the industry. This<br>
potentially will be seen by some in the industry as an opportunity to<br>
justify higher pricing to eliminate the poor quality problems. The list<br>
should be written in the positive as this will reduce the potential for any<=
br>
legal actions as the list only contains those who have provided the proper<b=
r>
part as close to original as technology improvements allow. This list would<=
br>
need to be "live" as there are suppliers who will genuinely not know that<br=

their suppliers/manufacturers have not met the "standard of acceptance" but<=
br>
who would respond properly to being notified of the problem.<br>
John R Davidson, BN2, AN5<br>
H <a href=3D"tel:%28204%29%20895-4523" value=3D"+12048954523">(204) 895-4523=
</a>, C <a href=3D"tel:%28204%29%20295-9207" value=3D"+12042959207">(204) 29=
5-9207</a><br>
__________________<br>
Support <a href=3D"http://Team.Net";>Team.Net</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.=
net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">http://ww=
w.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; target=3D"_blank">http://www.=
team.net/forums</a><br>
/michaelsalter@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/op=
tions/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
e=3D"color:black">If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrica=
/div></div></div>
et">Team.Net</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team=
bscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/lin=
woodrose@mac.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/linwoodrose@=

--Apple-Mail-E2667A01-0D6A-4B10-8F00-08D8CB51DB4C--