Re: [Healeys] Cavity paint.

To: emmgeeteesee@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cavity paint.
From: sentenac.rw@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 19:26:31 -0700
Cc: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Hello David,

The classic application for pre WWII airplanes was linseed oil.  The
classic application for British Sports Cars has been Waxoyl.  The
challenge for anything applied to the inner surfaces is how to make
sure that every square inch gets covered.  POR-15, etc. would be fine
if you can get a coat of it everywhere (put the bare frame on a
rotisserie, fill the box sections up with your choice of stuff, rotate
it every which way and drain the residue out.)  Waxoyl comes with a
pump applicator and wand, and you're supposed to keep applying until
you are sure everything is covered, then let it drain out the
application holes for a few days.  Messy but reassuring; flows better
when hot.

However, if you are like most current Healey owners your car will not
be exposed to the elements a lot, and will be garaged in a dry
location, and not driven in snow or on salted roads.  So,  odds are
that your Healey won't rust away in your lifetime regardless of
whether you apply anything or what you use.

-Roland