[Healeys] Followup--- Girling Brake Servo Rebuild

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: [Healeys] Followup--- Girling Brake Servo Rebuild
From: "R. Cobb" <rcobb@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:16:11 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
--===============4268400524050473967==
 boundary="------------030802090103070003050601"

--------------030802090103070003050601

Michael Salter was kind enough to inform me that the vacuum chest of the
servo is steel rather than aluminum, as I had stated.

So, what follows is Sandstrom's application protocol for steel:

"Application on steel. Pre-clean the steel surface with aliphatic
naphtha or any other EPA compliant cleaner that sufficiently
cleans surfaces to pass ASTM F22. Sandblast the surfaces with 180-220
grit aluminum oxide (25-50 RMS optimum). Phosphate
IAW MIL-DTL-16232 (weight should be 11-22 g/m2), type M, class 3 or type
Z, class 3."

Any comments  from those who may have used the Sandstrom dry lube
products in the past?

Thanks.

Bob

On 4/17/2015 2:04 PM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Hi Bob,
> I'm not sure from your message if you are under the impression that
> the vacuum chest of the Girling servo is made of aluminium. It is
> actually steel if that makes any difference to the application protocol.
>
> Michael S
> BN1 #174
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM, R. Cobb <rcobb@earthlink.net
>
>     In anticipation of rebuilding my Girling Servo (I did it
>     successfully 30+ years ago), and after reading some archival tips
>     (going as far back as the early 1990's), I have ordered the dry
>     film lube from Sandstrom.
>
>     Their #26A product has evolved to the current #28A formulation.
>     The data sheet for the dry film lube indicates the following
>     directives:
>
>     "Application on aluminum and aluminum alloys. Pre-clean the
>     aluminum surface with aliphatic naphtha or any other EPA compliant
>     cleaner that sufficiently cleans surfaces to pass ASTM F22.
>     Sulfuric acid anodize IAW MIL-A-8625 and seal the surface."
>
>     Sandstrom's tech support director has been out all week at an
>     industry conference, so I've not been able to determine if, given
>     the application in question, the involved protocol is essential.
>
>     Any input from others who have successfully used this, or its
>     predecessor, product, regarding surface preparation?
>
>     By the way, when I spoke with sales and indicated I was interested
>     in using their product in relation to the restoration of a vintage
>     British auto, the salesperson said, "Oh, an Austin-Healey?"
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>
>     Bob
>

> --
> /If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem./

--------------030802090103070003050601

  <head>
  </head>
    Michael Salter was kind enough to inform me that the vacuum chest of
    the servo is steel rather than aluminum, as I had stated.  <br>
    So, what follows is Sandstrom's application protocol for steel:<br>
    "Application on steel. Pre-clean the steel surface with aliphatic
    naphtha or any other EPA compliant cleaner that sufficiently<br>
    cleans surfaces to pass ASTM F22. Sandblast the surfaces with
    180-220 grit aluminum oxide (25-50 RMS optimum). Phosphate<br>
    IAW MIL-DTL-16232 (weight should be 11-22 g/m2), type M, class 3 or
    type Z, class 3."<br>
    Any comments  from those who may have used the Sandstrom dry lube
    products in the past?<br>
    Thanks.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+nRy+_0dGQ5nHXiTX8w6NuBZOYL7vmRK3fwJC-NLJSNQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Bob,<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I'm not sure from your message
          if you are under the impression that the vacuum chest of the
          Girling servo is made of aluminium. It is actually steel if
          that makes any difference to the application protocol.<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN1 #174<br>
          Cobb <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:rcobb@earthlink.net";
target="_blank">rcobb@earthlink.net</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">In
            anticipation of rebuilding my Girling Servo (I did it
            successfully 30+ years ago), and after reading some archival
            tips (going as far back as the early 1990's), I have ordered
            the dry film lube from Sandstrom.<br>
            Their #26A product has evolved to the current #28A
            formulation.  The data sheet for the dry film lube indicates
            the following directives:<br>
            "Application on aluminum and aluminum alloys. Pre-clean the
            aluminum surface with aliphatic naphtha or any other EPA
            compliant cleaner that sufficiently cleans surfaces to pass
            ASTM F22. Sulfuric acid anodize IAW MIL-A-8625 and seal the
            surface."<br>
            Sandstrom's tech support director has been out all week at
            an industry conference, so I've not been able to determine
            if, given the application in question, the involved protocol
            is essential.<br>
            Any input from others who have successfully used this, or
            its predecessor, product, regarding surface preparation?<br>
            By the way, when I spoke with sales and indicated I was
            interested in using their product in relation to the
            restoration of a vintage British auto, the salesperson said,
            "Oh, an Austin-Healey?"<br>
            Thanks in advance.<br>
            Bob<br>
            Support Team.Net <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
            Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/archive";
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://www.team.net/forums";
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";
target="_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            <a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";

            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com";

target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
        -- <br>
                      you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an
        found in this message.<br>
        Checked by AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        04/17/15</p>

--------------030802090103070003050601--