Re: [Healeys] FW: Oil again

To: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Oil again
From: I Erbs <eyera3@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:33:11 -0700
Cc: Ahealey help <healeys@autox.team.net>

--089e011832ea8c364205191f81a9

Ya know oil doesn't stay in my car very long anyway to worry about.
Seriously,  I found the problem m The back of the valve cover was flat,
plus the gasket had slid forward

Mr. Ira Erbs
On Jun 20, 2015 8:21 AM, "WILLIAM B LAWRENCE" <ynotink@msn.com> wrote:

> Greg, I don't think the brand matters much. They all have to meet the API
> specification. I think all the rest is marketing.
>
> ------------------------------
> From: glemon@neb.rr.com
> To: ynotink@msn.com; healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Oil again
> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 01:02:40 -0500
>
> Thank you Bill, although it doesn't tell me which brand to pick, your
> clear explanation of the oil codes and changes in formulation give a very
> good background for someone trying to muddle through the oil choice issues
> classic car drivers face these days, and understand why oil
> choice/availability had become a significant issue.
>
> Greg Lemon

orry about. Seriously,=C2=A0 I found the problem m The back of the valve co=
ver was flat, plus the gasket had slid forward </p>
E&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ynotink@msn.com";>ynotink@msn.com</a>&gt; wrot=
e:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margi=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

all have to meet the API specification. I think all the rest is marketing.=
"_blank">glemon@neb.rr.com</a><br>To: <a href=3D"mailto:ynotink@msn.com"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank">ynotink@msn.com</a>; <a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.n=
et" target=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>Subject: Re: [Healeys] =

our clear=20
explanation of the oil codes and changes in formulation give a very good=20
background for someone trying to muddle through the oil choice issues class=
ic=20
car drivers face these days, and understand why oil choice/availability had=
=20
become a significant issue.</div>
om" target=3D"_blank">WILLIAM B LAWRENCE</a> </div>
autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team.net</a> </div>
<hr>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:ynotink@msn.com"; target=3D"_blank">ynotink@msn.com<=
/a><br>To: <a href=3D"mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">mic=
hael.oritt@gmail.com</a><br>Subject:=20

 the Rocky=20
Mountains participating in the Glenwood Springs Rallye when it started and=
=20
frankly I wish I still were. However, at the risk of being called ignorant,=
=20
uninformed, commie pinko or whatever I have a little information that may b=
e of=20
help in sorting out the oil confusion.=C2=A0=20
ich=20
are blended in to tailor them for specific purposes. These generations can =
be=20
traced by the API codes which are located on the container.=C2=A0</div>
NT-SIZE:12pt">The first letter is either a C, which denotes the oil is=20
intended for use in a compression ignition engine, or an S which denotes it=
 is=20
intended for use in a spark ignition engine.</span></div>
development of the internal combustion engine from the most primitive (A) t=
o the=20
most sophisticated (I think they are at O Now). protective amounts of zinc =
were=20
dropped from the additive package at SM. Any oil before that, or say from S=
D=20
through SL, still contains zinc.</div>
ft=20
break-in, but I prefer to be cautious on that score so I look for oil that =
is SL=20
or earlier. I&#39;ll let the more informed and adventurous members conduct =
that=20
experiment...</div>
h=20
compression ignition and for spark ignition service and will show both a C =
and=20
an S rating. In some cases those oils will still have an SM or later=20
rating.</div>
=20
stroke motorcycle oil because motorcycles don&#39;t have catalysts. Typical=
ly it is=20
rated SF or SG.=C2=A0<span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:12pt">Since the oil has no wa=
y of=20
knowing it is being run in an automotive engine and my Healey doesn&#39;t k=
now the=20
oil it&#39;s spewing is meant for a motorcycle I have been running Castrol =
4T in=20
20W-50 grade quite happily.</span></div>
 soon=20
won&#39;t have anything to talk about like most modern college campuses.</d=
iv>
<hr>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">michael.=
t.org</a><br>CC: <a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank=
">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>Subject: Re: [Healeys]=20
Oil again<br><br>
no one seems to have the answer, so we simply keep talking about it.=20
=C2=A0</div>
politics or religion, two topics which are susceptible to absolute rectitud=
e.=20
Many or most of us do not have the correct answers on either and someone=20
here--perhaps an unknown lurker--may choose to now come forward with his or=
 her=20
enlightenment and reveal it to us. =C2=A0<br></div>
listen with a jaundiced eye.</div>
Oritt=C2=A0</div></div>
a href=3D"mailto:javrugtman@htcnet.org"; target=3D"_blank">javrugtman@htcnet=
he other=20
 be=20
br>
/Manage:=20
gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailm=
nk">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a> Suggested annual donation=20
$12.75 Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">h=
ttp://www.team.net/archive</a> Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forum=
s" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>=20
arget=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ynotink@msn.=

am.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual donation=C2=A0=20
$12.75<br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank=
">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums:=20
ank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br><a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman=
 target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/glemon@neb=