Re: [Healeys] SU Needles & OIL ( or lack of )

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] SU Needles & OIL ( or lack of )
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 06:20:33 -0700
References: <CAJBOvRTtFpD6viYFifpoVoqAnf2qXQ-Fkk+C6OKVBPSwZyFHDQ@mail.gmail.com> <558A5E74.5080100@chello.nl> <558a9ecf.27e5420a.3827.ffff927b@mx.google.com> s=q20140121; t=1435152032; bh=7kjQmj24BXXY09/B7b3eooYgj1NkTYNBLRiAH8AE5CI=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=TPebsh4DnnPSR0dc51Vrrg+gtyxP8b7nqiUfAWJ8mZU97PWxL/9jgztR0wYY963xK UUeJZgpvj9/BKqp0mghSa8jr5WIH0sOO5NXTjZTy77Jr55dW3ZyIm0pK+ZYnRIEXWY HeIMVI0XHJ5oisWC/0VcBH9BaoiBStXT91fOL/wyy2i9U6DLmM1AL3k0CLCbOMED+x yNj47GgEN7lQYbTCjuWwDP3x9IiwNG3TJBKgT7pZFxLvbZYj9h6Ub95sRQtwg0Az2t psZf+zB0QWnN63aBX8+WJBxuTffaeGQhrGZKhngSFw49b1pcoO6I9EWF1jCNZ3Lkss JD/WVzwJYIldw==
--===============6287519782742262375==
 boundary="------------040307000904010700090003"

--------------040307000904010700090003

FWIW I don't notice any sort of clatter on first start-up in either my
BN2 or BJ8.  The BN2 is a fresh rebuild, and the the BJ8 has in the
neighborhood of 100K miles on it.  I don't think 'clatter' is normal,
but offhand don't know what would cause it (it's usually associated with
engines with hydraulic lifters that are bleeding down).

As for the too rich problem, I think you want to run on the rich side
with higher compression.  With the flat top pistons, what kind of
compression are you getting?  A richer mixture will help prevent
detonation (to a point).

Bob

On 6/24/2015 5:12 AM, Michael wrote:
> Hi Keith,
> Can't help you much on #1
> But regarding bearing clatter on startup my engine does the same thing
> as yours on the first start of the day.
> The engine has very few miles on it since I "freshened" it last winter.
> I Plastigaged (spell check sure doesn't like that one) and the Glacier
> rod and main shells were all well within spec.
> The oil pressure with VR1 20/50 is 55p.s.i. hot at 3000 RPM and the
> only time I hear the clatter is on the first start of the day.
> I have removed and rechecked the original filter assembly and
> everything seems to be fine.
> BTW my MGBGT does exactly the same thing.
> I suspect that it is not a problem but would like to hear others
> CONSTRUCTIVE input.
> Michael S
> BN1 #174

> Sent: â??24/â??06/â??2015 3:50 a.m.
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] SU Needles & OIL ( or lack of )
>
> Problem 1: How do you know the engine is running rich? Is it OK at
> idling (blue on the ColorTune: correct, orange: rich), are the plugs
> black after a long stretch?
>
> Problem 2: What is your oil pressure at say 2500rpm and at idle when
> the engine is really hot after a long high speed run. Is the oil
> pressure slightly dipping when you blip the engine when hot?
>
> If at start up after only one night you can actually hear the bearings
> rumbling/rattling I would suspect worn bearings or, but unlikely, the
> wrong oil (way to thin) if you are lucky.
> Other causes can be:
> faulty/absent non return valve in the oil filter
> small leak in the suction part of the oil pump circuit
>
> Never start a cold engine using the throttle to rev it up immediately
> after firing. Let it idle until you read oil pressure. On my JH car it
> can take over 20 seconds before I have oil pressure.
>
> Kees Oudesluijs
>

> Keith Taylor schreef op 24-6-2015 om 8:36:
>> G'Day
>>
>> Problem 1
>>
>>  I have a BN2 with Le Mans upgrades ,  1 3/4 carbys with OA6 needles
>> & the car is running very rich,
>> I have ordered weaker OA8 needles hoping to sort out this problem .
>> However this car has flat top pistons hence much higher compression .
>> Am I going down the right road .
>>
>> Problem 2
>>
>> This car left standing overnight ,on startup has a severe bearing
>> rattle , my long time mechanic ( retired, read old ex BMC man)  is of
>> the opinion
>> that the spin off filter non-return is failing The oil release valve
>> seems to be in good condition. Startup now is to crank over without
>> starting
>>  to get oil pressure up then fire up , Subsequent startups are not a
>> problem
>>
>> Keith Taylor
>> Southern Highlands OZ
>>
>> BN1
>> BN2

--------------040307000904010700090003

  <head>
  </head>
    FWIW I don't notice any sort of clatter on first start-up in either
    my BN2 or BJ8.  The BN2 is a fresh rebuild, and the the BJ8 has in
    the neighborhood of 100K miles on it.  I don't think 'clatter' is
    normal, but offhand don't know what would cause it (it's usually
    associated with engines with hydraulic lifters that are bleeding
    down).<br>
    As for the too rich problem, I think you want to run on the rich
    side with higher compression.  With the flat top pistons, what kind
    of  compression are you getting?  A richer mixture will help prevent
    detonation (to a point).<br>
    Bob<br>
      type="cite">
          Keith,<br>
          Can't help you much on #1<br>
          But regarding bearing clatter on startup my engine does the
          same thing as yours on the first start of the day. <br>
          The engine has very few miles on it since I "freshened" it
          last winter.<br>
          I Plastigaged (spell check sure doesn't like that one) and the
          Glacier rod and main shells were all well within spec. <br>
          The oil pressure with VR1 20/50 is 55p.s.i. hot at 3000 RPM
          and the only time I hear the clatter is on the first start of
          the day.<br>
          I have removed and rechecked the original filter assembly and
          everything seems to be fine.<br>
          BTW my MGBGT does exactly the same thing.<br>
          I suspect that it is not a problem but would like to hear
          others CONSTRUCTIVE input.<br>
          Michael S<br>
          BN1 #174<br>
        <hr><span style="font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; font-size:
          11pt; font-weight: bold;">From: </span><span
          style="font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;"><a
            moz-do-not-send="true"
          font-weight: bold;">Sent: </span><span style="font-family:
          Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;">â??24/â??06/â??2015 3:50
a.m.</span><br>
          font-weight: bold;">To: </span><span style="font-family:
          Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;"><a
            moz-do-not-send="true"
          font-weight: bold;">Subject: </span><span style="font-family:
          Calibri,sans-serif; font-size: 11pt;">Re: [Healeys] SU Needles
          &amp; OIL ( or lack of )</span><br>
        is running rich? Is it OK at idling (blue on the ColorTune:
        correct, orange: rich), are the plugs black after a long
        stretch?<br>
        Problem 2: What is your oil pressure at say 2500rpm and at idle
        when the engine is really hot after a long high speed run. Is
        the oil pressure slightly dipping when you blip the engine when
        hot?<br>
        If at start up after only one night you can actually hear the
        bearings rumbling/rattling I would suspect worn bearings or, but
        unlikely, the wrong oil (way to thin) if you are lucky.<br>
        Other causes can be:<br>
        faulty/absent non return valve in the oil filter<br>
        small leak in the suction part of the oil pump circuit<br>
        Never start a cold engine using the throttle to rev it up
        immediately after firing. Let it idle until you read oil
        pressure. On my JH car it can take over 20 seconds before I have
        oil pressure.<br>
        Kees Oudesluijs<br>
        Keith Taylor schreef op 24-6-2015 om 8:36:<br>
cite="mid:CAJBOvRTtFpD6viYFifpoVoqAnf2qXQ-Fkk+C6OKVBPSwZyFHDQ@mail.gmail.com"
        type="cite">
          charset=UTF-8">
            OA6 needles &amp; the car is running very rich,</div>
            problem . However this car has flat top pistons hence much
            higher compression .</div>
            bearing rattle , my long time mechanic ( retired, read old
            ex BMC man)  is of the opinion </div>
            release valve seems to be in good condition. Startup now is
            to crank over without starting</div>
            startups are not a problem</div>

--------------040307000904010700090003--