Re: [Healeys] Non-Healey (but still relevant!) - Fuel tank cleaning

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Non-Healey (but still relevant!) - Fuel tank cleaning
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 10:12:17 -0700
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.1.0 s=q20140121; t=1440004335; bh=BUIgPE9oj6v5YTM4+udJYDWNEmfqBAg7n/JFv7Btgns=; h=Received:Received:Subject:To:From:Message-ID:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=BCTSkindk2yc2uzpDO0c6F/4rgXNfm4ybJgpfXMS0NC77h36RUlbgHkPDHmtJKS+k t4esGXLm8KZ1h1Pw4KpZ2W8iSHUnijFuXPAyGJn17Nex+Es1PIz+PkzvYjPNkW1fdp uxpbf95DCy6O4MgRZZikFS3QR3/WUceisvyTCpQV/4X9ewcqFh4iPwazsII9UgAghr WkYRNh6JeUhPDhQHcHO8QSeeBf2UzFiAZTp3Gb1AD39J68SccBeM0xcYBEHB5J7kmo aH4zlFZTnn8y9KkMZuDzM4MAi9w5Wne0qKzaoNMOwd8Tk0od32k6Xj0p0Jm+xXEAzh xisAnFEEMeQWA==
--===============0668027728925000578==
 boundary="------------010905090403060801040507"

--------------010905090403060801040507

Not exactly the answer to your question--and most of us prefer to do it
ourselves where possible--but it looks like you're going to have your
hands full with this project (can't imagine parts would be easy to
source).  Why not 'farm out' the gas tank to one of the commercial
cleaning/repair outfits while you attend to other issues?

Bob

On 8/19/2015 9:03 AM, mike brooks wrote:
> It a - picture of Bristol 403 attached. I've only paid "poor" price
> for it. I'm intending to do most of the work myself. The superleggera
> frame and aluminium cladding is basically sound as is the chassis.
> It's just all very tatty. The original straight six engine runs but
> I'm having to dismantle just about everything else. The plan is to get
> everything working and them assess how much I'm prepared to spend on
> the paintwork and interior. Meanwhile, still looking for help on the
> tank cleaning!
>
> Mike Brooks.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

> *From*:"I Erbs" <eyera3@gmail.com>
> *Date*:Wed, 19 Aug, 2015 at 4:47 pm
> *Subject*:Re: [Healeys] Non-Healey (but still relevant!) - Fuel tank
> cleaning
>
> Good luck with the project.  I was just looking at the prices of
> Bristols. They are beyond my wallet, not my dreams. Would love to see
> photos.
>
> Mr. Ira Erbs
>
> On Aug 19, 2015 6:58 AM, "mike brooks" <hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk
> <javascript:return>> wrote:
>
>     I've just acquired a stablemate for the 100 - it's a 1953 Bristol
>     403 that has been languishing
>     under a tarpaulin in a neighbour's garden after being evicted from
>     his mother-in-law's garage.
>     I couldn't bear to see it deteriorate further so I now have a real
>     project on my hands. My
>     question concerns advice on the best method to clean stuck and
>     loose petrol solids from
>     the tank which is aluminium. It is not leaking. I guess there will
>     be several list members who have
>     experience and can advise. Thanks in advance
>
>     Mike Brooks
>     '56 BN2
>     '53 Bristol 403
>     Reply to: mike.brooks@alumni.warwick.ac.uk <javascript:return>

--------------010905090403060801040507

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Not exactly the answer to your question--and most of us prefer to do
    it ourselves where possible--but it looks like you're going to have
    your hands full with this project (can't imagine parts would be easy
    to source).  Why not 'farm out' the gas tank to one of the
    commercial cleaning/repair outfits while you attend to other issues?<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:1440000212.23155.YahooMailAndroidMobile@web171803.mail.ir2.yahoo.com"
      type="cite">
        <tbody>
              I've only paid "poor" price for it. I'm intending to do
              most of the work myself. The superleggera frame and
              aluminium cladding is basically sound as is the chassis.
              It's just all very tatty. The original straight six engine
              runs but I'm having to dismantle just about everything
              else. The plan is to get everything working and them
              assess how much I'm prepared to spend on the paintwork and
              interior. Meanwhile, still looking for help on the tank
              cleaning!
                Brooks.<br>

href="https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android";>Sent
                      from Yahoo Mail on Android</a></p>
                  <hr>
                    <tbody>
                            sans-serif;color:#7e7d80;"><b>From</b>:"I
                            Erbs" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:eyera3@gmail.com";>&lt;eyera3@gmail.com&gt;</a><br>
                            <b>Subject</b>:Re: [Healeys] Non-Healey (but
                            still relevant!) - Fuel tank cleaning<br>
                            was just looking at the prices of Bristols.
                            They are beyond my wallet, not my dreams.
                            Would love to see photos. </p>
                            AM, "mike brooks" &lt;<a
                              moz-do-not-send="true" rel="nofollow"
                              shape="rect"
                              ymailto="mailto:hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk";
                              target="_blank" href="javascript:return"><a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk";>hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk</a></a>&gt;
                            wrote:<br clear="none">
                              style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px
                              #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
                                id="yqt57817">

style="color:#000;background-color:#fff;font-family:verdana,
                                    helvetica,
                                    sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
                                        stablemate for the 100 - it's a
                                        1953 Bristol 403 that has been