Re: [Healeys] Headlamp switch

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Headlamp switch
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 12:55:50 +0200
--===============3273038268026888349==
 boundary="------------020008090308010801040908"

--------------020008090308010801040908

Forgot to mention to clean out old switches by injecting plenty of WD40,
operating them say 20 times and then rinse them out as well as possible
with WD40.
I do this on a regular bases, say once every 5 years and hardly ever
have any switch problems
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 1-10-2015 om 9:38 schreef Oudesluys:
> It may have been the switch but as the wiring harness was replaced
> recently it may have been a loose connection.
> Inspect the loom carefully for molten/damaged wires along the line
> especially when a bundle of wires are wrapped together.
> It is always advisable to use these old switches for operating a relay
> that in turn will switch the headlights. The same goes for any items
> using a fair bit of electricity, blower motor, windscreen wipers,
> horns etc.
> Kees Oudesluijs
>

> Op 1-10-2015 om 6:48 schreef Ross:
>>
>> Gents
>>
>> On a recent outing I noticed smoke emanating from under the dash when
>> the headlamps were switched on. My 13 year old son thought we were
>> going up in flames and decided to walk home. With the lights off no
>> more smoke or burnt plastic smell occurred and I easily beat my son
>> home. I disconnected the what was left of the two red wires, no
>> damage to any other wires. The switch is the original Lucas unit for
>> a 1958 100-Six. Should I assume that it was the switch that failed or
>> should I be looking for something else. The harness was replaced
>> during the restoration but the switches were kept.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ross Maylor

>> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
>> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
>> Versie: 2015.0.6140 / Virusdatabase: 4419/10732 - datum van uitgifte:
>> 09/30/15

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.6140 / Virusdatabase: 4419/10735 - datum van uitgifte:
> 10/01/15

--------------020008090308010801040908

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      switches by injecting plenty of WD40, operating them say 20 times
      and then rinse them out as well as possible with WD40.<br>
      I do this on a regular bases, say once every 5 years and hardly
      ever have any switch problems<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Op 1-10-2015 om 9:38 schreef Oudesluys:<br>
        charset=windows-1252">
        the wiring harness was replaced recently it may have been a
        loose connection.<br>
        Inspect the loom carefully for molten/damaged wires along the
        line especially when a bundle of wires are wrapped together.<br>
        It is always advisable to use these old switches for operating a
        relay that in turn will switch the headlights. The same goes for
        any items using a fair bit of electricity, blower motor,
        windscreen wipers, horns etc.<br>
        Kees Oudesluijs<br>
        Op 1-10-2015 om 6:48 schreef Ross:<br>
        type="cite">
          medium)">
            emanating from under the dash when the headlamps were
            switched on. My 13 year old son thought we were going up in
            flames and decided to walk home. With the lights off no more
            smoke or burnt plastic smell occurred and I easily beat my
            son home. I disconnected the what was left of the two red
            wires, no damage to any other wires. The switch is the
            original Lucas unit for a 1958 100-Six. Should I assume that
            it was the switch that failed or should I be looking for
            something else. The harness was replaced during the
            restoration but the switches were kept.</p>
        <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
          Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
            href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
          Versie: 2015.0.6140 / Virusdatabase: 4419/10732 - datum van
          uitgifte: 09/30/15</p>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        charset=windows-1252">
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6140 / Virusdatabase: 4419/10735 - datum van
        uitgifte: 10/01/15</p>

--------------020008090308010801040908--