Re: [Healeys] Suspension bushings

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Suspension bushings
From: Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 19:04:06 +1100
--===============2630576714974609741==
 boundary="------------090506070900010108060904"

--------------090506070900010108060904

Absolutely agree with Michael here, from past experience I would
completely avoid urethane for any car to replace original rubber bushes.
Its a pity that the correct rubber bushes are not made, but I would
still use the reproductions rather than urethane. From an engineering
standpoint urethane has a totally different way of operating to what the
car was originally designed for, stretching rubber fixed against steel
surfaces is not the same as rotating urethane on a pin. Has anyone ever
asked any of the urethane bush manufacturers if their products are
approved by current auto manufacturers, or if they will accept liability
for any damage they will cause? I would prefer to stay with a product
that is as close as possible to the original specification. In closing,
enlighten me, do any current auto manufacturers use urethane as their
standard suspension bush?
Cheers
Larry Varley

On 22/10/2015 7:08 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Bob,
> I suspect that I'm not telling you anything that you don't already
> know here BUT:
> I think the critical point is that the original suspension bushes work
> in the same way that rubber engine mounts are designed to work. The
> steel mounting plates (or in the case of mounts steel tubes) are
> rigidly attached to parts that move relative to each other and that
> movement is accommodated by the flexing of the rubber medium bonded to
> each plate.
> The plastic bushes work more like bearings in that the rotational
> movement is accommodated by rotation of the bolt (shaft) within the
> bush (bearing). All very well while you are flying straight and level.
> The problem, as I see it, is that when angular displacement is
> required, as in body roll, the plastic bushes must distort and as the
> plastic is by necessity relatively rigid, when compared to the
> original rubber, the loads imparted to the mounting points will be
> substantially higher than that for which they were designed.
> Maybe you will get away with it, maybe you won't., I just don't want
> to be passing you in the opposite direction if you don't!!!!
> Michael S
> BN1 #174 (All rubber bushes :-))

--------------090506070900010108060904

  <head>
  </head>
    Absolutely agree with Michael here, from past experience I would
    completely avoid urethane for any car to replace original rubber
    bushes. Its a pity that the correct rubber bushes are not made, but
    I would still use the reproductions rather than urethane. From an
    engineering standpoint urethane has a totally different way of
    operating to what the car was originally designed for, stretching
    rubber fixed against steel surfaces is not the same as rotating
    urethane on a pin. Has anyone ever asked any of the urethane bush
    manufacturers if their products are approved by current auto
    manufacturers, or if they will accept liability for any damage they
    will cause? I would prefer to stay with a product that is as close
    as possible to the original specification. In closing, enlighten me,
    do any current auto manufacturers use urethane as their standard
    suspension bush?<br>
    Cheers<br>
    Larry Varley <br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LJq-3GSU5VDcXcP03aKzzZ6vxXcu6Xv0U9-h7an6rxB1g@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Bob, <br>
          I suspect that I'm not telling you anything that you don't
          already know here BUT:<br>
          I think the critical point is that the original suspension
          bushes work in the same way that rubber engine mounts are
          designed to work. The steel mounting plates (or in the case of
          mounts steel tubes) are rigidly attached to parts that move
          relative to each other and that movement is accommodated by
          the flexing of the rubber medium bonded to each plate.<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The plastic bushes work more
          like bearings in that the rotational movement is accommodated
          by rotation of the bolt (shaft) within the bush (bearing). All
          very well while you are flying straight and level.<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The problem, as I see it, is
          that when angular displacement is required, as in body roll,
          the plastic bushes must distort and as the plastic is by
          necessity relatively rigid, when compared to the original
          rubber, the loads imparted to the mounting points will be
          substantially higher than that for which they were designed. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Maybe you will get away with
          it, maybe you won't., I just don't want to be passing you in
          the opposite direction if you don't!!!!<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN1 #174 (All rubber bushes
          :-))<br>

--------------090506070900010108060904--