[Healeys] fuel in Brake Booster

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] fuel in Brake Booster
From: "R. Price Lindsay" <050.rpl@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 18:07:36 -0500
Listers -

A couple of weeks ago my brakes were acting funny.  It turned out that all of
the fluid was out of the brake/clutch reservoir.  I sent the brake servo into
be repaired at the suggestion of the list.  I just talked to the rebuilder and
he said the baffle in the servo was swollen because of a large amount of fuel
present in the booster.  He mentioned this is not unusual with TR6â??s.  I
guess this can cause the servo to fail and  draw the brake fluid into the servo.

Now that the servo is fixed, I donâ??t want a repeat the problem and am
searching for a cause for the presence of fuel.  A few months ago I was having
a problem with fuel starvation.  It turned out to be a pinched fuel line.
During my long search I made a number of changes including installing a new
distributor cap and wires.  Somehow I switched a couple of wires and could not
get a spark in cylinders 5 & 6.  I found the problem after quite a bit of
trying to get the car to run smoothly and driving it for 20 - 30 miles.  Also,
maybe a contributing factor or maybe not, a year or two ago I moved the vacuum
hose to the induction manifold because I installed air cleaners without a
connection point for the vacuum hose. (Before the fuel starvation issue I
reinstalled the original air cleaners and moved the vacuum hose back up to the
air rear cleaner.)

Now for my question: Could the presence of fuel in the brake booster have been
caused when I was not getting spark and not burning fuel in 5 & 6?  Could the
unspent fuel have been sucked into the servo through the induction manifold a
while ago, or through the air cleaners recently?

Thank you so much for your collective thoughts.

Price Lindsay
67 BJ8