Re: [Healeys] Leaky Steering Box (NOT from seal)

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Leaky Steering Box (NOT from seal)
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 06:03:29 -0500
Bob,

Just wondering - when you added the sealer between the shims, did you
have to change the number of, or thickness of the, shims?  I would think
that the thickness of the sealer might change the axial pre-load on the
bearings.  May-be not enough to matter.

I can't get to the disassembled steering box I have at the moment, but I
think that the thread holes for the front cover aren't thru holes.  So
the only way the steering fluid can get to the bolts is if there's a
path through the shims/gasket or a crack in the cover.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php