Re: [Healeys] Brake Servo Operation

To: dayton21@comcast.net, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake Servo Operation
From: Larry Wendland <bighealey3k@aim.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 21:10:06 -0400
When you apply the brake a small gulp of air is momentarily introduced to the
intake manifold from the brake booster in an effort to replenish the vacuum in
the booster chamber through the large vacuum hose that is between the booster
and the intake manifold .  The gulp of air momentarily leans the normally rich
idle mixture out increasing the idle speed.  I am assuming the increase in idle
returns to normal as long as you keep the pedal depressed and when you release
the brakes.  Now if the idle stays elevated with the pedal depressed, there
could be a vacuum leak.  I used to repeatedly depress the brake pedal when
stopped at a stop light and watch the idle increase and stay increased until I
stopped depressing the pedal repeatedly and hold the pedal down till it was
time to continue my journey.  Why did I do that?  To prove to my self that air
was being introduce to the intake manifold upon brake application.

Larry
'67 BJ8