[Healeys] Rocker arm bushes - smoking ---solved

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Rocker arm bushes - smoking ---solved
From: Lou G <lgalper1@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 20:45:02 -0700
--===============0991705455011628447==
 boundary="------------030403080901070502040109"

--------------030403080901070502040109

We had an ongoing problem with the 100 smoking when pulling away from
stop signs and hot starts.
Problem:  No one would follow me on drives
Since the rocker assembly was gushing like crazy,
I borrowed a refurbished rocker assembly, installed on engine, adjusted
valves, >>>*no more smoking!*
Problem:  worn rocker bushes overwhelming valve stem seals - fixed!
Thanks to Terry Cowan at Toy Shop Restorations in Bonita, CA.  He always
has refurbished Healey spares on the shelf.
Next stop: California Healey Week - Yosemite...

Lou
San Diego CA
BN1
AN5

On 5/14/2016 10:36 PM, Lou G wrote:
> Thank you for the reply.
> Another thing -- pulling away from stops, it smokes excessively !
> I thought the rocker problem might be overwhelming the seals.
> New bushes first, then we will replace  valve seals.
> Lou
>
> On May 13, 2016, at 9:37 PM, i erbs <eyera3000@gmail.com
>
>> Possibly a bad valve stem seal
>>
>> Mr. Ira Erbs
>> Portland,OR
>> 1959 Austin Healey 100-6
>> please forgive odd words and auto corrects as   my phone cannot
>> understand my misspellings
>>
>> On May 13, 2016 9:25 PM, "Lou G" <lgalper1@cox.net
>>
>>     On our 100, with the D Welch head, we have a problem with one of
>>     the rocker arms.
>>     On only one of the arms, the oil gushes out like a fountain, the
>>     others just ooze out.
>>     Could it be the bush orientation or ?
>>
>>     Lou
>>     San Diego AH Club

--------------030403080901070502040109

  <head>
  </head>
    We had an ongoing problem with the 100 smoking when pulling away
    from stop signs and hot starts.<br>
    Problem:  No one would follow me on drives<br>
    Since the rocker assembly was gushing like crazy,<br>
    I borrowed a refurbished rocker assembly, installed on engine,
    Problem:  worn rocker bushes overwhelming valve stem seals - fixed!<br>
    Thanks to Terry Cowan at Toy Shop Restorations in Bonita, CA.  He
    always has refurbished Healey spares on the shelf.<br>
    Next stop: California Healey Week - Yosemite...<br>
    Lou<br>
    San Diego CA<br>
    BN1<br>
    AN5<br>
          On May 13, 2016, at 9:37 PM, i erbs &lt;<a
            moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:eyera3000@gmail.com";>eyera3000@gmail.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
            Portland,OR<br>
            1959 Austin Healey 100-6<br>
            please forgive odd words and auto corrects as   my phone
            cannot understand my misspellings </p>
              moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:lgalper1@cox.net";>lgalper1@cox.net</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br type="attribution">
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On our
              100, with the D Welch head, we have a problem with one of
              the rocker arms.<br>
              On only one of the arms, the oil gushes out like a
              fountain, the others just ooze out.<br>
              Could it be the bush orientation or ?<br>
              Lou<br>
              San Diego AH Club<br>

--------------030403080901070502040109--