Re: [Healeys] I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack ...

To: "'Healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack ...
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 21:23:53 -0400
Bob, I don't have an aluminum sump for my Healey, but I do have one on my
Miata.  I once ran over what I thought was a crumpled-up paper bag until I
hit it and it lifted the car off its front wheels.  Turned out to be a truck
water pump.  Not only did it destroy the steering rack, but it put a
good-sized dent/gouge in the aluminum pan and also a crack, as I discovered
later.  On the Miata, the aluminum pan is basically the bottom of the
engine.  The whole thing had to be replaced.  Seems that aluminum is not as
forgiving to road obstructions as the steel is, and I don't intend to put
one on my BJ8.
As for the dents in the steel pan, I was able to straighten most of those
out pretty well.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry