Re: [Healeys] Adjustable Shock Mount Kit -

To: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Adjustable Shock Mount Kit -
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 04:13:55 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_50868715_2080627717.1479874435767

Hi Jean,

We ordered these direct from Kilmartin a few years ago. Unfortunately, we got a
couple from a 'bad' batch; the plates have some caster due to a 'slant' on the
base and they were reversed. I wrote Kilmartin and their suggestion was to
'reverse' the plates; i.e. put the left one on the right and vice versa, which
we deemed unacceptable for a near-concours resto.. We got an apology, but no
attempt to make good on THEIR mistake. We had to do some welding and fabbing to
fit the plates to their correct sides.

That was the second time Kilmartin screwed-up an order from me; they also sent
us a front wing repair panel for a BN1 when we had ordered one for a BN2. That
time, they told us to keep the panel and they credited us for the cost (anyone
need a front left wing lower repair panel for a BN1?).

I can't attest to the handling characteristics as we set up the front end with
a digital level after installing the plates (we bought the plates to compensate
for excessive positive camber, for which we never figured out the cause). I
think we're pretty close as the tires are wearing evenly so far, but it seems
to me the car needs a bit more effort to 'turn in' to a corner than I
expected--but this is the only 100 I have driven--and after the turn is started
it feels like the car oversteers. Plus, the car feels a little squirrelly in a
crosswind. I'm taking this car to an alignment shop soon, will consult with the
shop and see what they recommend but expect I'll end up with nominal 1deg neg.
camber and just a smidge of toe-in, unless the shop recommends something else
to mitigate the initial effort for turn-in and the tendency for the rear to
want to pass the front.

Check these out (bottom of page):

https://www.bighealey.co.uk/front-suspension

95% of the functionality for 25% of the cost. If I'd known about these--and
assuming they were available then--I would have bought them instead of the
Kilmartin parts.

Bob